ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I agree with materchan, Z31's are fast becoming rare classics especially here in Australia. Z32's are so common here and they definately wont make it to true classic status as the Z31's will. Also over here Z's pre-Z31 are junkers and they're not worth much at all unless it's a mint condition, 100% stock 240Z which are next to impossible to find. I have my NA Z31 insured for more than my friends R32 Skyline, and more than another friends Imported R31 Skyline. Might not be the case in the USA because they released so many Z31's but all I care about is that the Z31 was the first in the series of Z3# and in 10 years time they're going to be worth more than just about any other Z built and released here in Australia.

The only people who really bash Z31's are 70-83 Z owners, why? I dont know. Maybe they hate all the bells and whistles that the Z31 came with. I agree with what someone said above, 350Z's are the true ******* child of the Z family because it just doesnt look like a Z should look in my opinion.

·
Registered
950 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Datto, i love you

I AM THE ONE who always says that 300zx's look like saturns.

Im glad to hear someone agree.

by the way, i happen to like the late 80's turbos, i was just stating a fact.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A lot of good points there.....

I mean, i dont care whether people like them or not, I still love mine (ratty as it might be!). I personally think if the 280ZX had not been released, the z31 would have been more succesful. I like the 280ZX, but I dont see it as that big an improvement over the old s30's--the z31 would have been a more radical improvement (luxurious, somewhat sporty, V6 instead of I-6, turbo charger, etc); if not an improvement, at least it would have been a successor. Those whole working on them aspect is kinda true, but that is also consistent with anything that is newer. The z31 can be a pain to work on, but it is a walk in the park compared to the Z32, for example.

Besides, 80's do have some good looking cars--mk3 Supra, 2nd gen RX7, and300ZX Shiro Edition:)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Everyone I've spoken to here in Australia of age who was around back in the 80s says the Z31 was the "bees knees" of sports cars at the time, I personally haven't heard such remarks regarding other Z cars. Being a fuel injected V6 was just awesome technology especially for the time, the Z31 is a real milestone in engineering and that's what will give it lasting power in the long run. Only time will tell though :)

Post Edited (Feb 26, 7:59pm)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I like em

Hey, Sheriff John Bunell thinks theyre a "powerful japanese sports car!"

I would definitely like to own one, theyre cool in the '80s japanese, battle-cyborg styling sort of way.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
There you have it, it's always the old school Z owners... I wonder why? I think they're scared of being passed over as the classic Z car in a decades time maybe? lol j/k :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hey! I said I like em! I can't help it if they look a little goofy! I would definitely own one if I had the extra scratch. I think they are very capable, attractive looking cars, theyre just different than the classical looks of the S30's.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I guess it's a matter of opinion, but the S30's arent exactly original looking. Very european influenced as I've read on here many times, some older models of porsche/ferrari etc look VERY similar and people around here have claimed that Nissan were extremely influenced by them.

With that said I dont really hate any Z and people that only like the particular Z they own aren't true Z enthusiasts in my opinion.

Post Edited (Feb 26, 10:46pm)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with what you said 85zx. Thats why I call the S30's looks classical, it resembles the european sports car which I think looks absolutely gorgeous. The Z31 takes the modern styling of the '80s and there is nothing wrong with that either. I think its fair to say that all the Z's were influenced by the design of the cars produced in their era. The S30 to the european sports car, the S130 as the modernization of that design, the Z31 as a total japanese '80s modern overhaul, the Z32 as the '90s update of the same styling trends (ahead of its time in my opinion) and the Z33 going back to the European style (can you say Audi TT). Their all very cool, but the Z31's looks just seem more catalyzing than the others.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I would agree with you clutchman on al but the z32. That design seemed to stand out by itself in 1989-90. I can't really think of any cars that resemble a z32 during those years. Once the Supras and RX7's updated a few years later, the styling cues are copied, but the z32's lines and inspiration don't seem to emulate any other cars in the late 80's and early 90's.

The z31's look from the front like the porsche 944's and the Corvettes. Especially with the placement of the turn signals and the flip-up headlights. The s30, etc resemble the Euro cars as previously noted, same with the z33.
But the z32 truly seems to be on the forefront of design for the 1989 styling of cars. Unless I am missing a car from before then that the z32 can be compared closely with.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Everyone says the Z32 looks almost identical to Saturns, we dont get them here though so I dunno... I guess by photos they do look very similar, and both came out around the same time.

Here Z32's are the ricers choice, all NA's with big stupid wings and ugly bodykits painted in metal flake and not worth anything.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Somehow I seriously doubt that nissan engineers were looking to the saturn for any type of inspiration whatsoever. Unless they wanted to learn how to build a mediocre piece of GM crap!! then it woulda been a great example!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yeah, I should have been more clear with the Z32, thats what I intended to say but it wasn't communicated very well. When I said it was ahead of its time I should have said it was the influence of cars of its era. Anyways, all Z's are awesome, bottom line.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
You Know, Darrel....

I was thinking the same thing.
And you KNOW the title of the response I was going to use, don't you?

Muahahahahaha!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Absolutely, we can all agree on that one and if you cant you shouldn't be here :)

I'd love a totally stock 240Z, and I'd also love a stock "looking" Z32 twin turbo sleeper to smoke all the jackasses around here ruining a nice car with crappy metal flake paint and silly wings.

Long live the Z!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
are you guys ******* serious

someguy on here says they look like saturns, what can i say.....they do

you guys apperantly cant see **** that is quite possibly the most retarded thing i have ever red on this bord

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Wrong.

your whole premis is wrong, the z31 is NOT hated at all.
it's just that when given the chioce of any z car ever built that the z31 is chosen last. it's not hated, it's just not that desireable.

if you had the choice between being given a nice 240z, a nice z31 or a nice 350z, which one would you choose?

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
See, TKR...

"your whole premis is wrong, the z31 is NOT hated at all.
it's just that when given the chioce of any z car ever built that the z31 is chosen last. it's not hated, it's just not that desireable."

This is the difference between a rational generation where opinion was values, and words meant things, and today.

The language has become so watered down, and people so sentitized to their FEELINGS instead of rational assessment of a situation that they result in using words like "Hate" and "Racisim" over items that are not nearly whet they are blowing them out of porportion into!

You are exactly correct, usually the Z31 is chosen last. A bland styling, mediochre designed by committee, and a totally lost market demographic all contribute to it's lack of popularity.

The costs of the Z32 are now in the range of people on the bottom rung of the feeding chain, and they are snapping them up left and right.

The Z31, on the other hand, will be relegated to the bin of history because of it's poor sales and lack of direction.

This was all enumerated in another post long ago. The best-selling mass-market Z of all time was the 1979 280ZX. After that, it's an S30. Coming in maybe a third place through default is not a great sign of "love of the marque"...

It's a sign of a company that lost it's way!

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.