Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone...

i just bought a 72 240z with an automatic everything stock.and it came with a parts car with a 4 speed.being quite the gear head i wanted to switch tranys that is until i got used to the automatic now i won`t even think about switching!!!! everyone puts them down but have you ever manually shifted the automatic? mine squats and throws my head back everytime!!! normal driving for me is start in 1st and shift at 3500 rpm same for second.im convinced if it didn`t have a independant rear it would bark second and maybe 3rd.

·
Registered
186 Posts
theres no clutch.

that is why autos arent as nice as manuals, you just dont have the same level of control as you do with a manual. Plus, manuals can reap better gas mileage, and are generally stronger. ( i think...)

I switched to a 5 speed, and somethings went wrong along the way, i now wish i hadnt done the swap, because of it my car is down , and has been for a while.

but i did drive it with the 5 speed a few times, and let me tell you, it is an entirely different beast, more powerful ( you lose something like 20% of your power through an auto) and just a faster car, and you have more control.

that is why everyone downs autos.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like manual transmissions cuz (in my mind) they're cheaper to fix when/if something goes wrong and easier to fix at that. That's just my humble opinion. i also feel more connected to the road with a manual tranny... hard to explain, but that's why i favor 'em.

-79 280ZX w/5 spd

ps for some unexplainable reason, i would feel better entrusting someone who can drive a stick with my car (auto or stan) than someone who can't. anyone else feel this way? heh not that'd i'd loan my Z out anyhow... >:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
turbo's on the other hand...

with turbos' you've GOTA have autos's
no doubt about it.....

82 ZXT auto 15.1 in the 1/4 mile
82 ZXT 5spd 15.9 in the 1/4 mile

8/10th of a second because of the power loss associated with the turbo spinning down between gears...

now if the 5 spd had a blow off valve.......

·
Registered
968 Posts
Mylesm you 've just helped me..

Mylesm,
You've just help me make up my mind to go with either the 5spds or auto trans on my project car. And for some of you who doubts the durability of the auto trans on the turbo car Don't because I have a couple of the 82 280ZXT that I raced and it can take alot of abuse. The only problem I don't like is it doesn't have O/D. Later
Vinh

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
try installing BOV

try installing a blow off valve on a turbo 5spd it will not slow the turbo down and you will have no lag. Plus if you dont let off the gas when shifting (speedshifting)
it will not stop spinning also.. So it is all about preferance.. I prefer a 5spd. I just like the way it feels. My inlaws have a 1st gen 300 auto and it just doest feel as sporty.. LaterZ

·
Registered
34 Posts
YEAH!!! i like how the rear-end nearly hits the ground!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! It's GREAT!!!well, i like automatics because, you just STOMP IT, and HOLD IT!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!Also, on the drag strip the Turbo Automatic is quicker because, you don't loose Turbo preasure between shifts.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My 1979 280ZX is an automatic, and I think it is consistently quicker accelerating than a 5-speed 280ZX. My automatic doesnt miss a shift!! It is also easier to drive in heavy traffic. I may eventually put a 350 Chevy V-8 in my 280ZX, and will use an automatic trans too. I don't think the R180 diff would survive with 350 backed with a manual trans!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I personaly like the feel of the stick more then the automatic. I dont dislike auto tranys, in fact i think they are great in minivans and pickup trucks but not in sports cars. After "test" driving a 240 with an auto and my 240 with the 4 speed i could feel the difference in the performance, plus the stick makes me feel more in control and more a part of the driving experience.

·
Registered
286 Posts
There's reasons for the better driving experience of a manual. One of them is engine braking. Rather than let your foot off the gas and use the full brakes, you engage the clutch and use the engine's resistance to slow it down. in the long run, yor brakes may last longer.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
sticks are more fun to drive! it gives you something to do while driving, since most people dont concentrate on the road anywayz, they can concentrate on shifting!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Automatics weigh more, are far more complex and therefore cost more to manufacture and repair, and are less efficient at putting the power to the pavement. And they still only do a mediocre job of choosing gears. Why would I want to replace a simple, efficient device that allows me to do exactly what I want and when, whith something like that? That's what I call engineering gone wrong. Sure, maybe if all you want to do is drive in a straight line then then automatics are fine, but you're missing out on most of joy of driving.

By the way, did anyone read that Car & Driver article a few years back about their long term test of an Audi with an automatic? The transmission bit the dust part way through their test, and if it had not been covered by the warranty, it would have cost $10,000 to replace! Give me a *%#$ing break! Progress indeed...

Nigel

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'll try to clear things up...

Faster or not depends on the car and how its used. A manual is prefered in road racing type applications so that you can stay in the power band through turns, as well as having more control of the engine using the clutch. Also, on most cars without mods, they are faster in a straight line because of weak torque curves, etc. However, in hi-power/performance cars, an auto will usually win at the strip because the engine is never really out of gear(thanks to the torque converter). The time that the clutch is in for shifting, the car is merely rolling forward. this time may seem negligeble, but in high power apps actually makes a difference.

just my $.02
brian944t - 72 240

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a 1978 280Z 5 Speed & a 1977 280Z A/T. The A/T will smoke the 5 speed from idle, but not for long...

They are both great cars. The 5 speed feels like a race car and the A/T feels like a touring car.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'am with you , I live in a area where there are mountan roads as well as Freeways , and the auto works great . I was of the same mind about instlling a 5 speed but after driving this Z with an auto I wouldent dream of changing, although if and when it goes gunneysack I think I will opt for a maxama 4 speed auto. Well thats my 2 cents Gary Portland Ore.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My 240Z has advanced computer shifting, it can make the most of any situation and select the best gear at all times. Of course I'm talking about myself. Autos rob performance. Autos are for old ladies and pregnant women.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have always tried to buy / drive Stick Shift automobiles. My Acura Legend is manual and I love it.

When I found my Z, it was a "gold" (aka mustard) and an Automatic, two strikes essentially, but it had the one grand slam home run I'd been looking for; little to no rust, engine in good condition, interior in fair to good, and most importantly it was available for sale. I probably paid a little bit more than I should have, but I got it.

I've invested a bit of money in bringing it back to the standards of my other cars, and it still has a way to go, but I've been definitely impressed with the Automatic. Granted it still needs a complete thorough physical and the results are not yet in, but it does have quite a kick, and it responds nicely.

Would I rather have had it come with a stick? Yes.
Would I swap the transmission? Probably not, the car came with it originally.

Of the less than a quarter of a million 240Z's produced roughly 10% were Automatic. With all the transmission transplants, and the inevitable demises due to rust, accidents et al, the Automatic is definitely rarer. Not looking for value, looking for the uniqueness of it, after all that's what I've always loved about the Z, it's unique, and this just adds to it.

My two ¢ .

·
Registered
248 Posts
Because they suck.

How many racing cars are auto? Not many. The zed is a sports car and should be driven so. Sports cars have manuals, otherwise it might as well have four cylinders and a honda badge.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've never driven an automatic that could shift at the right time. You're at 4000 rpm in 2nd in a hard turn and as the turn opens up you're gonna push to 5500 then shift. The automatic would be in 4th by then. What a loser ;-) Besides, it's dangerous because during shifting the steering characteristics change and you don't want that happening unexpectedly.

Be in control, do your own shifting!
SoM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.