ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally replacing my Bose radio in my '94. I'm looking at a Sony that's XM ready. Crutchfield says it won't fit, Circuit City says it will. Who should I believe. A Kenwood radio that Crutchfield says will fit is the same chassis size as the Sony. What gives?

Also, what have you done about adaptors for a new head unit and the Bose speakers? I'm NOT replacing speakers! I'm an old-fart and just want some XM reception.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I also agree. Get rid of the Bose speakers. They are not worth keeping. Just some basic Pioneer 3-ways would be better then those things. You can usually pick up a pair for around $70.
Any single-DIN aftermarket head unit will fit in your dash. Just buy an aftermarket wiring harness adapter that will connect your new head unit to the factory wiring harnesses. The idiot that I bought my car from had chopped all the wires off and taped them together.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Chuck the whole system and re-do it yourself. It takes more work than letting Circuit City do it, but trust me - you'll be glad you did. CC has janked me several times, and I don't trust them all. Plus, they don't really know their way around your car.

I could personally recommend Pioneer systems, but I don't really have enough experience with others. Helped a friend install a relatively inexpensive Pioneer setup that sounds good.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
if you are getting a head unit with a motorized face then they might not fight because if it drops down before coming out, then it hits on the dash and it won't open. So maybe one person knows the Z better than the other to know that it will hit?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
i have the JVC kd-sh99. motorized face works fine.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Second that beeman. I have the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X879. Controls are on a motorized faceplate that opens up and flips down when powered up. No problems. Only thing is that it does stick out farther than a head unit that does not open up, so I have to watch out for it when shifting.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have either the same unit or something very similar to Luminar's. The "black chrome" look of the unit looks great in the black/gray Z32 dash.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
i would really encourage you to pass on the SONY car audio stuff. I'm not an enthusiast by any means, but have seen A LOT of friends use their decks and speakers and I was not impressed. Not to mention they ended up always making excuses for the bland design and the lack of features.

I have had lots of experience with pioneer in car audio and can't find a whole lot of decks that compare in quality/design/and funtion. I like Alpine decks too.

Here's a pic of my Pioneer DEH-p835. It's an older model, but has the fip down face. Doesn't interfere with anything on the dash. I doubt any aftermarket head unit would since they're all pretty much based on a single DIN size opening (a few exceptions apply).

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
The pioneer I had in the Z before (which is now in the Maxima to relace that Blose System) was a flip-down CD loader and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sony lack of features? I beg to differ. I chose my Sony over all others for all its features and sound quality. Especially its sub woofer control. Very easy to access with one push of a button. All other brands you had to jump through hoops to get to it. But I guess you get what you pay for. Buy a $200 unit get few features. Spend more and get alot.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
not to argue, but to me Sony is one of the few mainstream electronics producers where you really feel like a huge percentage of your investment is spent on the brand name.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I sent an email to Crutchfield asking why they said the Sony would not fit while CC said it would. They said the Sony is ONE TENTH of an inch toooo deep to fit. They allow a certain amount of room for wiring and it would be very tight. If I was very careful with the wiring, I would be welcome to try it. They did say if it didn't fit, they would take it back within 30 days.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
yeah, there is nothing behind the stereo in the Z except the engine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.