ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post before I even understood what this was stating that you could make a Dial-a-buse with a MIG welder regulator, some hose, some fittings and clamps. Anyone done this or know the source of this knowledge? Thanks guys, Doug

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The components for a "Dial-a-Boost" are pretty straight-forward, an ordinary air regulator, not anything fancy, vacuum hoses and hose clamps and a "T' fitting. The only problem I would see looking at the one I have from a major Z-car parts supplier is the "T" fitting that breaks into the vacuum line of the wastegate. One of the legs of the fitting has a precision oriface or valve in it. I guess it would only be a matter of measuring that oriface with a gage pin, plugging one leg of the "T" fitting and drilling it out to that diameter. Or maybe the oriface it some standard part that you can purchase easily, The rest is very easy. You do need to have some pretty hard vacuum hose for it to work right. I tried to run mine inside the cockpit for "on the fly" adjustment, but the hose I bought at the local parts store was too flimsy and the unit did not function correctly. I ended up just keeping the regulator mounted under the hood over by the brake master cylinder/ booster assembly....for now. I can probably scan in the instructions that I have and E-mail them to you so that you can see how it is installed. It took me about 10 minutes to install the dial-a-boost, but it did take me about an hour to install the adjustable pop-off valve. You really need the pop-off valve or else you won't get a whole lot of extra boost, it'll just be bled off. I have heard of people just putting a threaded plug into the hole where the pop-off valve goes, but then you have no safety back up. It is realy fun to get the additional HP for so little money. It feels like it may be getting maybe 25-30 HP gain for around $100. I don't know for sure because at this time I have no way to measure it. I hope to get a G-Tech soon so I can get a better idea of what it really does give me. Let me know if you want that instruction sheet.

Russel

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: I WOULD like to have those instructions

By your description of the fitting, I think I'll get the Motorsport kit instead of cheaping out. Hey I heard some guys saying they had trouble figuring out which hose to tap into. Did you have trouble with this. Which line was it. Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: email me, [email protected]

I didn't have any trouble figuring out the hose to tap into, the instructions were pretty clear. I have a 5-speed and I just painted the car silver. It was origonally silver but I repainted it the new Ford silver mist, pretty close to the stock color but with alittle more depth. I did all the body work and paint myself. I accually did a friend shoot the car. We had use of my friends brothers paint booth to do the actually painting ($50 and a case of beer for the wekend). I wish I could figure out how some people are able to post pictues on this page so that I could post a picture of mine here. The paint job turned out pretty well, not perfect, but if it was perfect I wouldn't want to drive it. I love driving my Z so I am very pleased. I will E-mail that paper to you today.

Russel 83ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: How much boost are you running?

I tried to make a boost controler myself but it did not let off enought pressure.I was going to run @9PSI.What else have you done to your car?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE: How much boost are you running?

Nothing, yet. With the exception of removal of the cat and 2.5 all the way out to a two chamber Flowmaster. As soon as I buy a truck I'm going to have a turbo upgrade built with a T04b compressor housing. I will then install the boost controller and concentrate on getting an intercooler: then a boost dependent regulator. Any suggestions? thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.