ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a similar question awhile ago. So I'm curious how many people actually keep their spare tire in the car *with* a working can of air (for those driving 2+0's). I've had a defunct spare in my TT since I bought it 2.5 years ago, and I finally ditched it. I've got State Farm roadside assistance if I need it.

There was a reason for removing it. I keep a bunch of tools in the car and I wanted to see how many I could fit where the spare was. To my amazement, *all* of them fit.

Small red toolbox with a set of flexible gear wrenches, 3 more non-flexible gear wrenches, a normal set of metric wrenches, a set of flare nut wrenches, full set of 1/2" drive deep sockets, full set of 3/8" sockets, partial set of 1/4" drive sockets (6mm-12mm), and a pair of pliers and needle nose, as well as band-aids and fuses.

Kobalt 1/4" drive multi set (sockets, hex, torx, and screw drivers)

Two pairs of safety glasses (yellow and clear), multimeter, timing light, soldering iron, assortment of wire, heat shrink tubing, spare spark plugs, hot glue gun, jumper cables, 140watt inverter, assortment of zip-ties, 2 leather chamois, assortment of clippers, crimpers, needle nose, 90* bent needle nose, and a few other small tools.

I'm thinking of using some 2 part foam to get a mold of the spare tire well and building a toolbox and cutouts for specific tools. Anybody have ideas of what other tools I should throw in there?

**Yes, I know some people will think this is overkill and that I'm crazy**

Post Edited (May 27, 3:35pm)

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
Re: Who keeps their spare in the car? And who keeps tools in the

I carried a stock TT wheel as a spare for my group at Zdayz. I also carried an aluminum racing jack and all the tools needed to do a roadside 60k.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts

i usually carried a basic bag of emergency tools on long drives, and i replaced my spare tire/can of air with a fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

My spare is still in mine. Whenever I'm traveling with a group of Z's, I carry spare TT and NA injectors, CAS, PTU and harness, belts and tools to install any of the above.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

All the original tools, tire, and air can (all unused) were in my car when I got it... I since have removed them all in my pathetic attempt to shed weight.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

3cans...

of fix a flat, the original trie inflator, and a tire plug/repair kit. Tool box on long trips.

Eric

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

don't got ****.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts

I keep the spark plug tool, the jack, the wheel chalks, a small set of wrenches, a philips and flat head screwdriver, a change of oil, heavy duty jumper cables, a can of brake fluid, and an empty 2-gallon fuel can... all fits comfortably where the spare tire used to go in a Z31, at a weight cost of ~15lbs.

No spare tire however.

·
Registered
849 Posts

For big trips, I have enough parts and tools to pretty much pull the engine, but around town - nothing. I did carry the spare up to Fontana - just in case.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

ROFL... I like that last one... ;)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts

For me, spare, stock tools, fire ext. and fix-a-flat. Tim, that's an extremely thoughtful set of supplies--hat's off!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Black Diamond? You need some good SMC gear. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.