ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car gets hot very fast, too hot. what does white smoke mean? i have white smoke coming out of the tailpipe when i start it, i searched this and found that this has something to do with coolant. what exactly could this mean? thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Sounds like you've blown one or both headgaskets. Have fun replacing them, or be prepared to pay $$$$$ to have someone replace them for you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i would get rid of that tired ass motor, another motor could be had for the cost of having someone replace the head gaskets

·
Registered
657 Posts
burgundyzx:

where are you located at.......... if your close to Phoenix AZ, I could replace your head gasket for you.......... $250 total cost...........

hey newzowner45: what about what its going to cast to put the new motor in..........

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that would be awesome, i live in tucson az

·
Registered
275 Posts
white smoke is water, and is normal to get some for first couple minutes at startup---from condensation/temp change from overnight,,,will blow white smoke until it burns off

·
Registered
559 Posts
nonono ashley its not water..as long as it smells sweet burgundy then its coolant..im not sure about what a 300zx looks like all torn down..but a head gasket maynot help the coolant may have destroyed the cylinder walls its not oo uncommon for this to happen..good luck tho either way get it back on the street

·
Registered
67 Posts
on my 87 300zx na i had i blew the head gasket 2 days after buying, it. it blew white smoke like his is. its not too hard to change the gaskets, just make sure you do it by the book and be patient and mark where things go, just take your time and no shortcuts and its not that hard. it only cost me $125 for the gasket kit. have fun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
17 6, yesyesyes,,,,,,it is water assuming the person is using antifreeze correctly, with between a 50-70%antifreeze and the rest water. An fyi for u-antifreeze when burning, the dominant color is white--which is your key indicator water is burning, and where to start troubleshooting.

Either way, sounds like burgundy has blown his head gaskets and has a slight chance of a cracked head.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it only does it at startup not the whole time its running, also wouldnt run really rough if it was my headgaskets? so couldn't just be that i need to replace my thermostat because of how it keeps overheating??

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you have questions about coolant loss, you need to do the following:

* Check your rad cap for leaks. Replace it?

* Check the gasket UNDER the thing that the cap fits onto...a brass part.

* Check the condition of the small brass pipe (on the brass thing) that connects to the hose going to your coolant overflow tank...it can corrode seriously. I soldered a soft copper tube over mine and reconnected the rubber hose.

* Be sure the hose to the coolant tank isn't blocked and also check the inlet in the bottom of the tank...this can happen if stop leak has been used. Remove the tank and clean it & the hose out with water pressure.

* When done....use a permanent marker to mark your COLD COOLANT LEVEL when the car has sat overnight, so you can keep close track of any coolant loss cold....before starting it up.

* If you rule out coolant loss from the cap to the coolant tank, then you can tell if there is a loss elsewhere...and you will have an accurate idea of HOW MUCH COOLANT YOU ARE LOSING.

* You can use a flashlight to check for leaks around the waterpump, and top front of engine, & back between the valve covers. Also check heater hoses and radiator hoses and the radiator. Best bet is to do this just as the engine temp first gets near the center area on the temp gauge, when it's not so hot that the coolant totally vaporizes...you can still see small leaks. A flashlight allows you to concentrate on a small area.

* Symptoms of a blown head gasket: Start car cold with cap off and coolant visible...look for a stream of bubbles...if you see any, this is probably an exhaust into coolant leak. If you get serious bubbling in the resevoir when the car is hot and it overheats, this pretty much confirms it. I would replace the thermostat first & "burp" it, before removing the heads though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
you need to first identify whether or not you are in fact losing coolant? I have not read in this post, that you say you are. Just that you are overheating and white smoke at startup,,,let us know.

p.s. if u had a very slight leak of coolant getting into the combustion chamber at high speeds it may not be noticeable, more times than not though at idle or low speeds it would run rough.

--my 84z had an overheating problem a few years back and it was the clutch fan

·
Registered
275 Posts
forgot to mention, does your coolant look clean? many times when you have a cracked or blown HGasket the coolant will be foamy looking like soap and water. good luck

·
Registered
657 Posts
check your oil and see if it looks like chocolate milk..........also is there any noticable loss of power?

if it is definately your headgasket let me know and we can figure out when i can replace it......................you would have to bring the car too me though........... or we can negotiate the price and I could go to you.......
I would replace your thermostate and see if that takes care of the overheating problem............ and go from there.....

·
Registered
559 Posts
ya im sorry ashley well you taught me something...i knew there was water in coolant...but the big thing is when you see that white smoke and smell sweet smell....just start kicking the **** outta your car and cussing at it..i hear thats what they try on hondas ;)

·
Registered
559 Posts
wow i didnt know this lol i feel dumb but hey...the reason that white smoke....( most of the time) smells sweet is because the coolant is a glucose something or a rather and glucose turns out to be a form of sugar so when it burns than ya it smells sweet...ya dumb reply but hey i like learnin stuff lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.