Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly,

Thanks to all those who helped me out on last nights post, suggestions were most appreciated and will wait till the weekend to give those recommendations a go.

Now for tonights q... Fitted a battery about a month ago and found loads of white powdery residue on the battery and the battery cage.

Can anyone think why this happened?? I have wiped off the stuff as its definately from the battery and this only means acid. Someone mentioned to me that it could be that my alternator is generating too much power back into the battery which is causing it to spew its acid out??

I will wait till the weekend and have the alternator checked out by a friend and his volt meter.

Anyone got any ideas, if it is the alternator then why would it be creating more power?? I've got a 240Z with an L28 fitted.

Appreciate as always your thoughts on this one.

THANKS GUYS.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When you put on your terminals on your battery post did you put any grease on it? That might fix the trick i think what you have is just some oxidation perhaps from not enough water in your battery. If its a new battery get it checked out new batterys once in awhile are bad i just bought one that had a short in it and died my truck at the intersection. I thought it was the alternator but it was new.. turns out a bad batch of batterys at the store. Well anyway thats my small two cents
Sharkky

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Could be a bad regulator over charging or the electrolite level could be too high. Get some baking soda and dissolve it in water and soak the terminals of the cables in it. Also use it to clean the terminals of the battery but be carefull not to get any in your battery. When you hook them back up coat the terminals in dialectric grease and then get your charging system checked. I always had this problem with my Z and finally said @#$% it and got an optima battery.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Wait a minute

The 240 is wired with an external voltage regulator, it sounds like you swapped in an L28 which should have an internally regulated alternator. How did you handle this? Did you do away with the 240 external reg and alternator and use the newer 280 alternator? Or did you use the 240 alternator and reg just mounted on the L28? If you have the 280 alternator going through the external voltage regulator then thats a problem.

Maybe your battery is revolting on you and trying to infect you and your Z with Antharax! : )

Matt

·
Registered
307 Posts
Be careful!

Hey folks,

All good points, but be careful to never use any wheel or bearing type grease as they have metal in them and can actually provide a path to ground, also be VERY careful with the baking soda as it will completly neutralize any acid it comes in contact with which includes what is inside the cells, effectively destroying the battery. I often use this to clean up terminals and the like as well, just watch that it doesn't get inside the breathers.

If your battery is spewing it is getting overcharged or is otherwise defective. What is the voltage without the engine running, and say at 2k rpm? If it is much over 14Volts running you have a overcharge problem. If it is sitting at 12 or less when cahrged an engine off, all of the cells are not in good shape, making the others take an overcharge. A good shop can check the individual cells for you.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys

Guys and Girls (Madeline),

Muchos gracias once again. You lot are tops.

Some great suggestions.

I think it is overcharging, thanks again for all the tips.

Matt 78Z I might need you to explain to me wether I've got the internal and external regulator. My 240z came with the L28 fitted when I bought it so i don't know if it has or if it hasnt.

dbryan70z - thanks for the voltage figures, I'll be taking your post to my friend with the voltmeter.

Zee ya and thanks..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.