ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 90+ TT and would like to know of any PROs & CONs that you guys may have experienced and would like to share... anything that you think someone should know before spending that first large sum of money... something you may have wished you knew before you bought the first Z... performance bang for the buck, difference in quality of certain years, etc..

Thanks... sal

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ahh, the age-old question.

Simply put, you can't go wrong with any of them. The later years, like any car, are better in terms of reliability and having had the kinks worked out of them. Then again, they also got a little bit heavier, hurting performance just a tad. If you're looking for easy modifications for more power, the 96s are a bad choice due to emissions and OBDII changes.

Since you can't go wrong with any of them, more important than model year is the condition of the Z you're looking to buy. A pampered, properly maintained Z should be what you're looking for, regardless of year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My personal opinion, is that the only difference between a clean '96 TT and a clean '91 TT is a lot of money. If you can find a '91 with low miles and was taken really good care of, you will probably pay around $10k-$15k. For a '96 TT in same condition, expect to pay at least $5k more. I did a lot of internet searching last year, and found tons of Z's, but you have to really look at them because it is soooo important to find one that was well taken care of (regular maintenance and tune ups, no racing etc.). These cars can go for a really long time, but will die VERY quickly if you don't keep up with maintenance.
One thing you might want to do, especially if you are driving a sedan or some kinda 4banger right now, is to put in your budget LOTS of money for gas. Lol, I found myself finding the long ways home, just so I can drive a bit longer... It is an addicting car, and I don't think any Z enthusiast can stay away from their car too long.
Bad things... Ehh... they are heavy? Lol... I just love my cars to death so I can't think of many bad things except they are pretty heavy and pretty costly to maintain. You don't buy stock parts for a '90+Z (TT or not). The OEM parts cost just as much (if not more if you shop around) as performance parts. But then it's kinda cool, cause it seems like everytime I take her in, she is not getting fixed, she is getting upgraded ;)
I hope you your search goes well!
~Cas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.