ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read through the archives and everything...i still don't know what to choose for my 83 280zx...ms or eibachs...i just want my car to look really lowered so there isn't much gap in the wheel well..please help ..im buying the springs this month! thanks
kvn

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Re: Which should i buy Motorsport or eibach spring

> i read through the archives and
> everything...i still don't know what to
> choose for my 83 280zx...ms or eibachs...i
> just want my car to look really lowered so
> there isn't much gap in the wheel
> well..please help ..im buying the springs
> this month!

I don't know much about the Motorsport springs, I haven't used them before ( on my to-do list of various new things to screw around with, I suppose. )

I've tried the stock springs on my '83, and they're okay, although somewhat soft. You may already know about this.

I've tried the stock springs _cut_, and they work very well. This can lower the car by an inch or so ( your choice as to how much, but I wouldn't recommend any more than an inch, ) and they are somewhat stiffer than stock, which aids in roll resistance. Some people have a visceral negative reaction to doing this, which I addressed in a previous post that you can look up in the Archive. The only real drawback is that you're dealing with 15-year-old springs, and I've known much younger Nissan-OEM springs ( un-cut ) to BREAK on me. Blechh!!!

I dislike the concept of the Eibach springs intensely, because of their inherent unpredicability; I prefer a much more linear response to load. For this reason I will never put Eibachs on my cars.

Right now I'm using the Suspension Techniques springs, and I'm reasonably happy with them. The lowering is a bit over an inch, and the stiffness is IMO subjectively comparable to the cut Nissan OEM springs. The main difference is that you're dealing with new metal, and it's not quite as much work although a lot more money.

I'm quite convinced that you should seriously consider lowering your 280ZX by reducing the tire diameter long before you ever think of lowering the car by the springs. You can look my comments on this up in the Archive.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
715 Posts

I like my eibach springs and they handle predicably and ride well too. They provide a 1 drop too. Just FYI, your not supposed to cut eibachs because it will change the spring rates.

Evan

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

> I like my eibach springs and they handle
> predicably and ride well too. They provide a
> 1 drop too. Just FYI, your not
> supposed to cut eibachs because it will
> change the spring rates.

I don't think anyone would ever seriously think of cutting the Eibach's. They're supposedly stiff enough as it is! :^)

FWIW, the main reasons for going with a stiffer spring are a) to reduce the chance of bottoming on a lowered car, and b) to increase lateral roll resistance. Some people would argue that unless you're lowering the car, it's better to leave the springs alone and change roll resistance via modifications to the swaybars. Personally, I find that stiffening the springs reduces Z squat etc. on acceleration and braking, to a degree. ( Not that this has anything to do with your post, I'm just throwing it out there. )

What's your current ground clearance?

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

> I have Motor Sports lowering springs, the on my 79ZX, it looks great lowered, corners like a go- cart, no nose dive any more, much improved rear end squat, much more fun to drive, BUT it rides like a 2-ton pick-up and is very tiring to drive a long distance. If you can live with a very harsh ride the springs are great(I live with them).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.