ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing up a 77 280Z from scratch. The donor car had no injection system parts full stop. So starting from zero, what do the members recco on a complete aftermarket system for a NA build. Engine will be mildly cammed with head work, bored .040 over, flat topped pistons, balanced, and the usual easy upgrades. Is Megasquirt a complete system for someone like me or just an upgrade? Are there other complete kits I could look at? Not having a lot of luck with the usual searches and Z car specialty outfits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Megasquirt and haltec are kits you have to put together. You will need to get injectors, fuel rail, pressure regulator, fuel pump, timing sensor for crank or distributor, as well as getting the kit for the computer. This all assumes you still have the injection manifold. It all really depends on what your starting with for parts and how involved you want to get. Would be simpler and cheaper to go carburetors but injection in my opinion is more fun to play with. There are companies that will put the whole thing together for you such as Godzilla race works or protunerz or you can also contact the manufacture of the modules and they will help set you on the right path for your build. I personally went with Megasquirt and got my parts from protunerz; I just liked their software better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Megasquirt and haltec are kits you have to put together. You will need to get injectors, fuel rail, pressure regulator, fuel pump, timing sensor for crank or distributor, as well as getting the kit for the computer. This all assumes you still have the injection manifold. It all really depends on what your starting with for parts and how involved you want to get. Would be simpler and cheaper to go carburetors but injection in my opinion is more fun to play with. There are companies that will put the whole thing together for you such as Godzilla race works or protunerz or you can also contact the manufacture of the modules and they will help set you on the right path for your build. I personally went with Megasquirt and got my parts from protunerz; I just liked their software better.
Great info thx. I dont even have a manifold so really ground zero. I also like the tuning potential of FI. And I live in Albuquerque at 5500 feet so theres that against carbs. Will check out Protunerz site, many thanks.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Are there any salvage yard Zs in your area? if so, you might want to look under the hood of one so you can get a good idea of what should be there as far as the fuel system.

Bon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are there any salvage yard Zs in your area? if so, you might want to look under the hood of one so you can get a good idea of what should be there as far as the fuel system.

Bon
I got a Z club in Albuquerque to refer to, thanks. The guy at Protunerz was really nice, says he will give me time on Monday to discuss a whole setup. Looks like really quality stuff on his website.

·
Registered
965 Posts
As long as you have the intake manifold I HIGHLY recommend FastEFI. It connects directly to the car without modifications and comes with a lil screen that tunes the car on its own without any work on your end. A friend of mine got it and its pretty incredible. It comes with all the parts/sensors you need and the only bit of involved work with it (and i believe all other aftermarket systems but i could be wrong) is welding in a bung into your exhaust system for an o2 sensor. It uses the o2 sensor to tune your car. Absolutely incredible and requires no work on your end besides installation.

EDIT: forgot to add that he has a 77 Z just like yours

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
It depends on how much you are willing to get involved in your project. Megasquirt is programmed by you and has amazing flexibility. You can choose between several ignition and options as well as the injection side of things. You can use any mix of parts and sensors and injectors. It's cheap too. But you will have to be computer savvy. Spend some time over at hybridz.org. they have a huge tech section devoted to different EMS.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I agree with theghosttanker that megasquirt is more customizable but you will need to know what you're doing to get the most out of it. FastEFI does everything for you, so if you're interested in just driving the car - i'd go with them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts