ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early 74 260Z, all stock except for the '72 SU's and I suspicious rearend. Will I increase performance by changing to a different distributor and high energy ignition system? If so, what kind of system for a stock engine?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have an early 74 260Z, all stock except
> for the '72 SU's and I suspicious rearend.
> Will I increase performance by changing to a
> different distributor and high energy
> ignition system? If so, what kind of system
> for a stock engine?

I like the dual point distributor offered by victoria british ($199.95 Mallory distrib.) and a high voltage coil will give a little help. It has a (set it yourself Advance Curve) which will help a lot, the stock Z's advance curve isn't the best for performance. You could add a MSD 6A Ignition moudual to this for a bit more spark energy but the Mallory and coil would be enough to get a overall better starting, better spark and advance curve, gas mileage and cleaner burn. You might try adding better spark plugs to this setup like the silverstone's or some of the ones put up on here from time to time, I'm using a real expensive plug that works but the cost is hard to swollow, they are torquemanster plugs and they do work better than stock plugs but at around $12.00 a plug it's a hard sell... I take it you have headers also, to get the most out of a good ignition it's best to be able to evacuate the gases well or add a 2.25 exaust pipe anyway. It seems just adding one better component in the package doesn't make the best use of it unless the other's are optimized also. I will only recomend Nissan Motorsports race header or if money is a real problem Motorsports 6 to 1 header (Never use their 6-2 header, a piece of garbage). I would also take a look at the Monaz brand setup offered by Victoria british, it's a 6 to 2 setup but better designed for the Z's motor but still not close to the Nissan Header.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have an early 74 260Z, all stock except
> for the '72 SU's and I suspicious rearend.
> Will I increase performance by changing to a
> different distributor and high energy
> ignition system? If so, what kind of system
> for a stock engine?

I like the dual point distributor offered by victoria british ($199.95 Mallory distrib.) and a high voltage coil will give a little help. It has a (set it yourself Advance Curve) which will help a lot, the stock Z's advance curve isn't the best for performance. You could add a MSD 6A Ignition moudual to this for a bit more spark energy but the Mallory and coil would be enough to get a overall better starting, better spark and advance curve, gas mileage and cleaner burn. You might try adding better spark plugs to this setup like the silverstone's or some of the ones put up on here from time to time, I'm using a real expensive plug that works but the cost is hard to swollow, they are torquemanster plugs and they do work better than stock plugs but at around $12.00 a plug it's a hard sell... I take it you have headers also, to get the most out of a good ignition it's best to be able to evacuate the gases well or add a 2.25 exaust pipe anyway. It seems just adding one better component in the package doesn't make the best use of it unless the other's are optimized also. I will only recomend Nissan Motorsports race header or if money is a real problem Motorsports 6 to 1 header (Never use their 6-2 header, a piece of garbage). I would also take a look at the Monaz brand setup offered by Victoria british, it's a 6 to 2 setup but better designed for the Z's motor but still not close to the Nissan Header.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.