ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm going to purchas a Painless kit. Which of their products is the easiest to work with in the Z? It's going into a 280. I think I heard their 18 circuit is good. Also where is the cheapest place to get ahold of one?

·
Registered
98 Posts
We got the 12 circuit to put in the 72. It worked great, with circuits left over (labeled for power windows, locks, etc). If you're wanting to mount the box anywhere but under the dash, get the truck version (longer wires). And good luck with the combo switch. Geez what a headache.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you guys do grounding? Did you get some sort of distribution block and ground lots of items in one area to that? Like all the guages and stuff grounded at one point, then the tail lights and ass end to one point, etc?

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I knew about that. The guy on there recommends the 18 circuit with the GM steering column for a truck so it has longer lead wires. I'd rather go with a car unit since it's cheaper, but it has to be mounted under the dash or something. Anyone know of some creative ways, or places to mount it if I don't go with the truck model?

·
Registered
98 Posts
We mounted ours under the dash on the passenger side and everything worked fine. We tried to mount it under the hood in a box but the wires on the car version won't reach, and the dash wiring becomes a pain. We even tried to mount it behind the driver's seat in the tool box but then the headlight wires wouldn't reach. Do you have or plan on adding power windows, locks, etc? If not, you don't really need the 18 circuit-you'll just end up with a bunch of extra wire you don't need.
As for grounding, just get ya a new grounding strap and clean up the connections and you should be fine.
Also, are you gonna try to replace the engine wiring? Your sig doesn't say if you're still FI or not.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya it's gonna be a fuel injected turbo beast...however I'm going to run a diff. harness at a later date with my SDS or Megasquirt, whichever one I go with. I have no plans as far as power windows or anything yet, but I am going with the 18 circuit anyways JUST IN CASE. Any pics of the mount? I probably wouldn't mind putting it under the dash if I just had a pic to look at to see how well it tucks away and looks clean and all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got the 18 circuit non-GM column. I'm planning on mounting under the dash on the driver side. What are you referring to about "Combo switch"?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.