ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Like the size and stiling of the early z's 70-79, but I think I'd like to costomize one with carbs. I am used to messing around with carbs and am wondering which one 70-74 would be the best base frame to start with I say 70-74 because I will not have to deal with emmitions. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Which one?</b>

It wasn't until '77 that they added emissions equipment. My '76 doesn't have a cat or EGR. The only stuff it does have is a charcoal canister for fuel vapors and valve cover breather to intake. I'd say it's more important to find one that hasn't been molested and has the most interior parts ... regardless of year.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The '70 and '71 chassis is about 200-300pounds lighter than the others. If you plan to modify for speed, this is your choice!

·
Registered
650 Posts
the frames are all the same(69-74), its the superficial details and emission control systems that were different. if you are planning on using the stock SU carbs get the ones before 73 (round top SU's). if you're going to be using aftermarket carbs then it really doesnt matter.however, if you do come across a '69-early 70(series 1) i say keep it stock and restore it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are the 74's more collectible or does it not make a difference. I ask this because I have a 74. But it had an engine fire (the previous owner suffered a vapor lock and proceeded to by-pass the fuel system by hot wiring a electric fuel pump. The fuel line popped off at the engine anf fueled the fire.) Will this cause the unibody to be weekened (i.e. is the unibody tempered steel).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.