ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my F54 block, crank, and rods today, and going to take it down to be rebuilt soon for a relatively mean turbo build. What oil pan is reccomended? I remember when swapping a 78 Z motor into my 79 Z, I had to swap oil pans for it to clear the front crossmember. Now I don't know if that HAS to be done, or maybe we just weren't wrestling it in right. Anyways, do I need the F54 turbo motor oil pan, or will just a NA 280 oil pan be fine? Also, is the Arizona Z car aluminum one worth it?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
The turbo oil pan has a place for the turbo oil return line to go, other pans dont, you'll have to moddify an NA pan.

280ZX pans will work in 280Zs, but 280Z pans wont work in a 280ZX.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh ok cool. Well I'll start looking for one of those. I noticed the Arizona Z car one has a place for oil return and oil temp senders. Figured it might be worth it, plus it's aluminum and holds more oil. Guess it comes down to what I find when the money is in hand.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Matt300zxt,
I just recd. my oil pan from AZ and it's real nice. It's heavy and should lend some strength to the block. It also has a place for the t oil line. It is a better product than the sheet metal ones from Nissan Motorsports and other suppliers I've seen.....mayolives

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
i also run the arizonazcar oil pan.it is a very quality pan and holds 7and a half quarts of oil. i highly recommend it. plus he supplies all the hardware allen head bolts so it is also a hot look when it installed

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
The only "down side" to cast aluminum pans is: they crack when you hit them hard enough, something that would just dent a steel pan. Used to work on BMW's and we replaced oil pans on them all the time from this. I'm sure the AZ zcar pan is nice, not sure I'd want one on a daily driver. The stock ZXT pan is -good enough- for most street cars. You might get creative and make a nicer baffle for it? I'd be spending any extra cash on a better EFI setup or a real race intercooler etc.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, not a daily driver :) Just a weekend car. I might get a 1G AWD turbo Eclipse/Talon, or CRX Si, or the last model 240SX for a daily driver.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya know what...turbo oil pan is fine with me :) Anyone got a non dented one for sale? My car rides kinda low and I don't wanna risk hitting a speed bump or something and breaking it like Steve mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.