ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tim,

Just open it and you'll be able to tell.
FYI there are no clutch type R200 LSDs in the cars that were sold in the states.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Re: False

> Tim,

> Just open it and you'll be able to tell.
> FYI there are no clutch type R200 LSDs in
> the cars that were sold in the states.

Don't know where you got that info from. I've had two clutch type rears as well as one of the viscous type and they all came from right here in the united states of america out of 300zx. Since Tim is asking about the part number, I assume he doesn't have it in front of him to look at. That's the problem with trying to buy mail ordr parts. You can't trust the other guy to know what you want.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The diff is in a car that I will be purchasing in another state or I would open it.
FYI there are some first gen Turbo 300ZXs ~87' that had clutch types. Very hard to find though. Then they had viscous R200 ~88'. I am sure once I get the car that I will open it and check it out. Just wondering if anyone knew the casing numbers that went with them.
Later,
Tim Deesen

> Just open it and you'll be able to tell.
> FYI there are no clutch type R200 LSDs in
> the cars that were sold in the states.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry, I guess there was a misunderstanding. The clutch type LSD that I was talking about is the one that comes out of Skylines and other nissan cars in Japan and not the ones out of the 300ZXs.
The problems with those 300ZX diffs are that you have to fabricate the halfshafts to fit it in your 240Zs. The ones that I am talking about fits without any fabrication by using the halfshafts from the 280Zs. Finally, as to answer your 38311 P9000 is the mold number of the differential case(most R200s came with this number) and has no relationship to whats inside. Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Re: sticker on the viscous

Don't know if it would still be there on yours, but the viscous rear I had actually had a little orange sticker by the filler plug that said viscous LSD. The two clutch types had no sticker. At least you can look for the sticker before cracking open the case. What year is the car?
greg
71 240z

> The diff is in a car that I will be
> purchasing in another state or I would open
> it.
> FYI there are some first gen Turbo 300ZXs
> ~87' that had clutch types. Very hard to
> find though. Then they had viscous R200
> ~88'. I am sure once I get the car that I
> will open it and check it out. Just
> wondering if anyone knew the casing numbers
> that went with them.