ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know which is the + lead from the electronic pickup on the Z distributor? Intuitively it would be the red wire but I want my MSD6A to run and not burn up if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Which is +, red or green?</b>

Besides having the proper electrical schematic forr your car, only way to be sure is to take a measurement with a voltmeter.
Turn the ignition on then look for 12V on one of the wires. If you don't have voltmeter, you can simply connect up a tail light bulb. The other wire from the bulb should be connected to ground (negative).
Tom

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure it would be 12V. These wires come from the distributor and I am pretty sure carry only the magnetic signal generated by the stator/reluctor. I have the FSM but it doesn't refer to polarity. I am hooking up an MSD6A and the wires are violet + and green -. The wires from the distributor are red and green. Again intuitively, you would think red is +. I think they carry only a low voltage pulse signal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In electronics Red is always + . There are only two exceptions to this rule, and those are in the telephone wiring and in the Thermocouples.
Hope this helps,

Danilo

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Danilo, That is as I said, intuitive. Thanks, it gives me more confidence. I will go hook it up now.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
AC vs DC

I think what Sizzler is getting at, is that DC circuits always have a hot and ground, typically red and black, vs AC which have hot, neutral, and ground, where typically green is ground and black is hot. Obviously cars are always DC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.