ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise the HP is greater for the L24 then the L28 but I'm assuming that the FI in the L28 will make the car more responsive, then which engine (in stock form) will give the best 0-60 times in a 240Z?

I should add that both engines are stock and are European and therefore lack all the emissions equipment. Would the gain be just marginal or am I looking at 0-60 in the mid 7's for the L28?? Or am i just dreaming ;-)

This is a question that has bugged me for a while as I have the L28 fitted and the L24 with SU round top carbs sitting in the garage.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

Jules
73 240Z

·
Registered
79 Posts
between the 2 always go l28.

on paper it sais the l24 has greate hp but thats misleading. the l24 was rated net, the l26 on were rated gross.

comparable figures the l28 had ~148hp, while the l24 has ~120hp

·
Registered
434 Posts
put some flat top pistons in your stock L28 and you should be able to do mid 7 sec 0-60 in your 240z; assuming you have the motor tuned correctly. the carbs can also be quite responsive. many prefer the resposnse of the carbs, but either fuel system can work great.

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
'faster'-vs-'quicker'?

Yours is a "quicker" question, not a "faster" question.
Given proper gearing for the engine involved, the one producing the most torque will accelerate to a given speed in identical chassis quicker.
L28

Simply dropping in an L28, even with improper gearing (given it was the same gearing used to test the L24) will give a better accelleration time. Unless you have some screwy 5.14 gear, where the advantage would go to the engine with a higher peak HP and higher rev capability (L24). But this is not the case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.