ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the archives with no luck. Here's the question - On a standard bore L6 2.8 with valve reliefs cut into the cylinders, which manufactures head gasket is recommended? I know the gasket bores have got to be slightly larger than the blocks bore to allow for the relief cuts. I found that HKS makes a 91mm bore gasket, is there any other manufactures that produce a gasket with similar dimensions.

For those of you that have reliefs cuts in the block, what gasket do you guys use?

Thanks
Mike

· Registered
507 Posts
why do you have valve reliefs cut?

You state that the short block is a "standard bore L6 2.8". You shouldn't need valve reliefs cut using any Nissan head, and any compatible valves. If the short block was a 2.4L, valve reliefs would need to be cut when installing the larger/later valves, or a head with such valves.

With the 2.8L 86mm bore, there is no need for valve reliefs. Have you done something completely out of the ordinary and installed a completely different set of valves (say chevy or something else)? Otherwise, there is no way that your valves would come in contact with the cylinder walls.

On to your question:
Stock replacement head gaskets:
Fel Pro is good - 89mm bore
Victor (sold at Napa) is also good and has an oblong (not circular bore) ranging from 90mm lengthwise to 88mm across. I know this sounds strange....but IO have 2 of these in my garage right now and the bore is NOT circular.

I would use the fel-pro as it is the most readily available...also the quality of the gasket seems superior IMO.

The HKS gasket is the ONLY gasket with a bore exceeding 90mm. It is a 91mm circular bore. I have this on my car now. Others will say otherwise, but I believe this gasket is more trouble than it is worth. It is too expensive to start with,and **** near impossible to get the water jackets to seal.

· Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: why do you have valve reliefs cut?

I should have added that I have a Maxima N-47 head with 44mm intake valves and 38mm exhaust valves. The cam has a .480 lift. With this combination, it has been suggested that reliefs should be cut in the cylinder bores. In your opinion, yes or no?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.