ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a running 85 300 turbo engine and 5 speed, and a running 82 turboengine and 5 speed and I cant decide which to put into my 240z any suggestions

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Well I'm not an expert, but I'm probably as close as your are gonna get, regarding the V6 turbo swap anyways....Because I just finished a v6 swap...

There is a lot of variables to your question...and a big one is $$$ a L6 turbo swap can be done in a couple of weekends if your competent working on Z's and EFI stuff...a V6 swap is a whole other bag of beans...custom steering mods, frame mods, custom motor mounts, custom tranny mounts, alt brackets, brake and fuel lines need to be relocated a bit too. Custom exhaust, custom throttle linkage, shifter linkage, custom hood latch, custom driveshaft, as well as a host of other minor details...Whew!! not to really scare you off, but I did this to be different, not becuase it was cost effective..I could have dropped in a V8 for 1/4 of the cost of having all that stuff done. Sure looks cool though..and there is significant performance possibilites as well.

Most folks will quickly step up to say how easy and cheap a l6 turbo is to get into a 240. And best of all.. almost all of the hard stuff is bolt on..motor mounts, tranny, throttle, clutch..etc.... It is also a far more tried and proven swap...mine.....well...I have never seen one like it...

I have an article on the zdriver.com site that gives an idea of what is involved...

ZR8ED

·
Registered
433 Posts
turbozedder I admit that the 300zx is faster and would be a better engine to drop in but do to the mods required the eastst way to do it would be with the inline rather than the v. Just remember to swicth the ecu's and wiring harness as well. Also do your self a favor while its out and put new vacum lines on the turbo with a t fitting in the line to the waste gate and get a 1in pipe plug and remove the pop off valve. Note you'll run faster with these mods. And get a cone filter, there $20 and then go to a napa and get a 3in 90 degree bent pipe and cut it to fit. That saves you a good $100 from buying it from MSA. Then finnaly set up an intercoller to it so you can run over 8psi if you don't put it in you can't run over this, your car will detonate and really screw things up. I requemend a conquest intercoller try to get a 88-89 there better then the prevous ones even though I have a 86 I know it sucks. Also beat a strait pipe though the catolitc converter. Finally alway remeber that you have a turbo car, that means just about any little thing you do will really help your performance. and I leave you with is thought a 2.5litter turbo charged is equal to a 3.1 naturally asperated engine.

tbs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.