ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, ok... I've got 4 carbs. two are the dome top, two are the canister looking ones. All of which I'm sure need rebuilding... any opinions on which ones are better?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi, I only have experience with the dome top SU carbs (aslo called skinners or hitachis). They are very simple and very reliable. I've read that others prefer these carbs too.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Kelstar. there really isn't a real choice the flat top carbs are not worth rebuilding. The by far preferred carb is the SU or round top unit . before you get into them save some time and get the video from Z-therpy it's a must if you really want to know what what. I have never heard of "skinners" Gary Portland Or

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I think he is referring to the fact that the SU name was from the original name "Skinners Union". They are all SU carbs, licensed to be built by Hitachi. (Both round and flattops). The later flattops just were not as good a design as the roundtops, or as simple to work on. They were a stopgap emissions carb that were only used for 2 years, 73-74 (in the US). Use the dome topped carbs, and save the flattops for paperweights, or doorstops.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
There's a few diehards...

(blowhards?) like me pulling for flat-tops, but we're few and far between. Search on 'Flat-top Owners Unite!' for prior posts. Round-tops are easier to deal with.

------ Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.