ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm in neutral there is a noise like a bad bearing. I push in the clutch, and the noise goes away.

This noise has gotten worse, and new problems have developed on my last drive. When I start from a stop in first gear, as the clutch engages there is a grinding not-good noise. Sometimes when I depress the clutch to switch gears, it only comes up a fraction of the way. It does engage, but I have to pull it up with my foot to get it up all the way.

Some of my friends who are mechanics said it is the throw-out bearing. If so, will I be able to switch it by myself, or will I need to take it in to a shop?

Thanks,
Nic

Post Edited (Oct 9, 4:52pm)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
and to add more questions to his first post, if its a throw-out bearing doesnt this call for a new clutch? or is it a tranny thing?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My aunt, who used to be a mechanic, said that she thinks all I gotta do is put my car up on ramps, drop the tranny, and switch out the throw-out bearing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If I was you while I had the thing down I would go ahead and replace the clutch and pressureplate too no sence in having to pull it down again when the clutch starts to slip.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
when my throwout bearing died i had the opposite problem. My car was silent until i pushed on the clutch pedal. Might the problem be a pilot bearing/bushing? Either way I'd replace the whole clutch, as a kit contains all the bearings and parts you'll need. Plus why make more work for yourself later?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is the pilot shaft bearing in the trans. If it were the throw out bearing it would make noise when you push in the clutch. Hopefully you catch it before it comes apart. The bearings damage gears and run up the repair cost if not replaced early. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
TX300 wrote:

> It is the pilot shaft bearing in the trans. If it were the
> throw out bearing it would make noise when you push in the
> clutch. Hopefully you catch it before it comes apart. The
> bearings damage gears and run up the repair cost if not
> replaced early. Hope this helps!

Good call TX. Now that I think about it, that makes perfect sense. A good way to test it would be to put your tranny in neutral and give it a small amount of gas. if the pitch of the noise goes up with the speed of the engine, this is exactly your problem.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just drove around the street and it would seem I have a bad throw out bearing, slipping clutch, and bad pilot shaft bearing. The pilot bearing isn't very bad and has been like that since I got the car, and I think I'll just wait until the tranny dies and then replace it with a different one from the junk yard. The clutch started slipping on my last drive whenever I start in first (which doesn't smell good either), so I'll need to get a new one. Where should I get a clutch kit?

Nic

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
get an ACT clutch kit, and don't destroy a tranny cause you're too lazy to fix it. thats silly. you're going to have to fix it anyway when it dies and you need another one. Just replace the clutch and the pilot shaft bearing at the same time and save yourself the money of a new tranny or a complete rebuild.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The counter shaft bearings will make noise in all gears but will be quiet in 4th. The pilot bearing will make noise in all gears. These trannys are bad about the pilot shaft bearing. The rebuild kit for this tranny is under $90. It will give you all of the bearings, seals and gaskets needed to quiet your tranny.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.