Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAPPY NEW YEAR

I'VE GOT A '73 IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE THAT'S DUE FOR A RING JOB.I'VE ALSO GOT A '77 PARTS CAR. I'M WONDERING IF IT'S WORTH PUTTING THE 2.8 IN TO REPLACE THE 2.4 . I'D STAY WITH CARBS AND DON'T KNOW IF THERE'D BE A NOTICEABLE PERFORMANCE GAIN. AT THIS POINT, I WANT TO PUT IN THE 5 SPEED AND PROBABLY THE DIFF BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT ELSE TO KEEP. THANKS

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> HAPPY NEW YEAR

> I'VE GOT A '73 IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE THAT'S
> DUE FOR A RING JOB.I'VE ALSO GOT A '77 PARTS
> CAR. I'M WONDERING IF IT'S WORTH PUTTING THE
> 2.8 IN TO REPLACE THE 2.4 . I'D STAY WITH
> CARBS AND DON'T KNOW IF THERE'D BE A
> NOTICEABLE PERFORMANCE GAIN. AT THIS POINT,
> I WANT TO PUT IN THE 5 SPEED AND PROBABLY
> THE DIFF BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT ELSE TO
> KEEP. THANKS

There would be a noticable difference for sure and I think you'd notice it mostly in the off the line pull, the torque is better with the L28 motors. The front sway bar is prob. larger, I'm running some ZX sway bars on one of my 240's (takes a mod. to use the rear sway bar though) You may want to use the distributor and electronic ignition but I prefer the dual point Malory from Victoria British for the better advance curve. I also prefer the later bucket seats, I don't know what type the 73 has, I have a couple 71's and am using the reclining bucket seats instead of those funky nob based ones. This is all I can think of at the moment. Have fun..

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You will feel a noticable difference with the 2.8 L block. Just have it lightly honed and the crank polished, put in new rings and bearings. This should be fairly cheap to do. Swap both the diff and tranny from the 280 into the 240. You will need to swap the tranny, driveshaft, diff, mustache bar, back cross member and halve shafts. You should be able to do all of this in about 2-3 hours provided everything has been removed from the 280 first. Also, swap out the brake booster, you will need to drill new holes, but it provides alot more braking force. While the engine is out, you can also swap the rack and pinion. You should have a nice ride when all is said and done, the 240z is considerably lighter than the 280z, have fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.