ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Had to tell someone. I just finished plumbing my 27x10x3 inch (core) Bell intercooler and [email protected]#!%. This thing is worlds better than my Starion intercooler. At 15 psi It feels faster than 17psi with the StarQuest unit. I can't believe the power this car has now. Roll on 2nd gear and at 12psi the tires go up in smoke. Shift to 3rd and whoosh. Have to turn the timing down a bit though. Had it set a little high since putting the new motor in. Used a 2 row crank pulley from a Z instead of the 3 row pulley from the ZXT motor I'm using. The thing is 5lbs lighter but the timing marks aren't exactly on. Have to do a top dead center check tommorrow a put a new mark on the pulley. Right now its roughly 5 degrees off. So instead of the 20degrees initial I normally run and which is indicated right now, its actually at 25 or so which is too much to run the boost I want to run.....20psi. Look out Jim T. aka 240Z turdbo. Jim if you are reading this right now if there was anything that I benefited from Meeting you at Commerce it would be this. Thank you. Later just wanted to share kids.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
RE: Whew wee! Just plumbed my Bell I/C. Incredibl

How much did the intercooler run you? and how does it look?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>It is about time!</b>

A few answers first. The intercooler from Bell runs $500 and someone wanted to know how it looks. I ran my car without a hood down the street and all you see from the front is one massive intercooler comin at ya! Hey Boost, that isn't the only thing you got out of meeting me! Did you forget Waffle House. HeHe! That thing makes a tremendous difference. I went from running 13-14psi to 19-20psi on the street. I never could get 2nd to spin from a roll, only a little chirp. Mostly due to the increased lag of the bigger turbo. If you still have the stock t3 on the turbine side you are gonna get tons of torque and it should bottom out your rear shocks through 1st and 2nd gear at 15 psi of boost. It is because of the backpressure created by the smaller turbine housing and wheel. Anyway, when you go to a bigger turbo the increased lag will keep you from burning down the tires because the boost kicks in at a higher rmp instead of punching hard like yours. That should help your quarter mile times significantly. Anyway, i'm glad you finally installed that monster! Didn't you buy it a couple of months ago!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: It is about time!

The intercooler just got here like 2.5weeks ago. It took them 6 weeks to get it to me but I must say it was worth the wait. I took another 2weeks for me to get all the mandrel bends and figure out a plan of attack. My frame rails extend all the way to the front of the car since my car had those huge bumpers. I had to route the intake side down under the radiator over and back to the intercooler. The bottom outlet is actually under the frame rail. Me and a guy I work with cut and welded everything and it looks sweet. I am now running 19psi and God!#@% this thing is fast.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Routing again, please!!!</b>

please explain again the routing your IC pipes took. I'm wanting to do the same unit in same type car(big bumpers) Do you have a picture or even a drawing you could send me? Thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: BOOST??? Routing??? </b>

Hey, Boost, could you run that routing by me again. Maybe a picture or drawing? I'm faced with the same dilemma on my car...I want cold air and an IC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.