ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Z web site. I have a horrific exhaust smell in the interior of my car whenever I roll my windows down. I have a brand new exhaust system and it's been double checked. I've also resealed the rear hatch. OK, Z gang, try solving this mystery.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: wheres that interior exhaust smell coming from

Taillights.
Mine has the same, brand new exhaust.
It maybe coming from below or through the taillights. Check the rubber seals around those, they're tricky.

Matty

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

first,check the round rubber plugs on l &r side of hatch.should be about eye level with hatch open.another possibility is a bad gasket at tail light assembly.hope this helps.if its any consolation,i've never been able to eliminate fumes completely...especially with windows open.good luck,jeff.m

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

You'll never totally eliminate it with the windows down, but you can reduce it. First, plug all holes in the rear of the car. Taillight gaskets, hatch gasket, hatch holes, holes where hoses come in from gas tank, etc. I used expanding foam in the recesses on the back interior 1/4 panels and rear taillight area. This gets rid of fumes with windows closed
Second, extend your tailpipe out past the bumper about 2 inches. This reduces fumes with windows open.

Hope it helps
Mike

·
Registered
538 Posts

last thing measure your fuel pressure. if over limits at fuel rails then replace fuel pressure regulator. and replace filter at purge canister if this nor any of the above guys comments fixes it then ya got me...hope this helps

·
Registered
538 Posts

last thing measure your fuel pressure. if over limits at fuel rails then replace fuel pressure regulator. and replace filter at purge canister if this nor any of the above guys comments fixes it then ya got me...hope this helps

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>I had this happen to me to....</b>

I had this happen to me too. I ended up replacing the round rubber caps (about 2") in the hatch its self. They are on the trailing underside of the hatch rearward of the hatch seals. They had tears in them and were leaking exhaust through the inside of the hatch past the vinyl cover on the inside of the cargo area. And yes I had already replaced both hatch seals and that did not help.
ZR8ED. Check them out..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.