ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a little bit of a car buff. I have a Firebird and an IROC and I am selling them off very soon. I love these little Z-cars. I have seen some very nice 240's in my area for 1500-3500. I really only care for the 70-78 models. Which type should I begin my Z collection with?
thank you
Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Rob,
As with any purchace, it is all personal preference. There is no one car to start with. Look around, when you see the Z that makes you want to quit your job and leave your family just so you can dedicate all your time to one of the greatest cars on earth, then you will know That's the one
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Re: Even I didn't go wrong!!!

> Hello, I am a little bit of a car buff. I
> have a Firebird and an IROC and I am selling
> them off very soon. I love these little
> Z-cars. I have seen some very nice 240's in
> my area for 1500-3500. I really only care
> for the 70-78 models. Which type should I
> begin my Z collection with?
> thank you
> Rob

Rob,

I have a 78 2+2. Probably not the choice of most enthusiasts because of the 2+2 config.

I acquired it 8 years ago through a trade for a rusted out old Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I wasn't looking for one, just wanted to get rid of the Jeep. But I'm sure glad it found me.

I must say, that it was in great condition, and after doing a re-paint and areodynamic kit, it's better looking and even more fun to drive than ever. I can't imagine how a coupe could be any more fun, but I know curiosity will get me and one of these days I'm going to show up with one more thing to explain to my wife.

So, IMO, it's more important to find one that suits your mechanical and restoration wants/needs. There are a few turn key restored and hopped up Zs out there for sale. Or you can find lots of them in need of things that cars of 20 and 30 years are in need of and get them for real cheap.

Either way, you'll will love it.

Good Luck!!

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
If you're really beginning a collection as you say, my advice is to go for the middle or upper end of the market. That is to say, don't buy a $200 beater, because it will take you $10,000 and forever to cherry it. Look around for something in the $3,000 to $6,000 or more range, which should buy you a strong runner with a straight, rust-free body and decent interior.

As to year, Dave's suggestion is a good one. Just look for the '70-'78 car that really grabs you. I'm a little biased because I have a '75 and '82 Z, but I don't think I'll ever own another car without fuel injection. That being said, the early, carburetted 240s are definitely the most sought after.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> If you're really beginning a
> collection as you say, my advice is to
> go for the middle or upper end of the
> market. That is to say, don't buy a $200
> beater, because it will take you $10,000 and
> forever to cherry it. Look around for
> something in the $3,000 to $6,000 or more
> range, which should buy you a strong runner
> with a straight, rust-free body and decent
> interior.

> As to year, Dave's suggestion is a good one.
> Just look for the '70-'78 car that really
> grabs you. I'm a little biased because I
> have a '75 and '82 Z, but I don't think I'll
> ever own another car without fuel injection.
> That being said, the early, carburetted 240s
> are definitely the most sought after.

I started my collection about 5 years ago when i was 15. I started it with a 1980 280ZX 2+2 Automatic. Not the choice of most but hey it was my first car. It ended up getting totaled after i spent about a year of my free time working on it. Now i have a 1979 280ZX 5 speed. I got it for $200 and it ran and had one of the straightest bodies i have ever seen. I've been working on her constantly for about 3 months. Its a great hobby to get into, mostly because you get some much enjoyment out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> Hello, I am a little bit of a car buff. I
> have a Firebird and an IROC and I am selling
> them off very soon. I love these little
> Z-cars. I have seen some very nice 240's in
> my area for 1500-3500. I really only care
> for the 70-78 models. Which type should I
> begin my Z collection with?
> thank you
> Rob

The 240's are more expensive, but they resell for more if you decide to get a different one later. Fiddling with those sidedraft carbs isn't something I have a talent for, though.

You can find a fuel injected 260 or 280 for half the price of a comparable 240. And if you like to get parts from junkyards, I've found in the L.A. area that there are lots of 280Zs in the yards (and a rare 260 here and there) but I haven't seen a single 240 yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
> The 240's are more expensive, but they
> resell for more if you decide to get a
> different one later. Fiddling with those
> sidedraft carbs isn't something I have a
> talent for, though.

> You can find a fuel injected 260 or 280 for
> half the price of a comparable 240. And if
> you like to get parts from junkyards, I've
> found in the L.A. area that there are lots
> of 280Zs in the yards (and a rare 260 here
> and there) but I haven't seen a single 240
> yet.

Where in LA???????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> Hello, I am a little bit of a car buff. I
> have a Firebird and an IROC and I am selling
> them off very soon. I love these little
> Z-cars. I have seen some very nice 240's in
> my area for 1500-3500. I really only care
> for the 70-78 models. Which type should I
> begin my Z collection with?
> thank you
> Rob
I first became interested in Zcars about two years ago. The best thing I could recommend is to do your homework before you go out and just start buying. I would suggest that you get a copy of Illustrated Datsun/Nissan Sports Car Buyer's Guide by John Matras. You should be able to find it here in the bookstore from Amazon .com. It will give you the necessary information to make a buying decision, based upon your needs, intended use, and available capital. I ended up with a one owner all original 77Z. It is dependable, comfortable, beautiful, affordable and a real pleasure to drive. Good luck.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top