ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the car last week and now the engine light is on. I got the OBD scanner thingy for my 96 300zx non turbo. I just bought the scanner today now gotta figure where the ECU is and how to use the scanner. Can you give me EXACT in full detail how to get to it and the location of it?

THanks

DenZeL KnighT

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
pass. side floorboard, pull back carpet at the front, its velcroed on, under that is a wooden floor piece, under that is the ecu.

as for it being obd2 on most vehicles there is a port for the scanner, usually under the steering column but it could be diff for the z.

hope that helps

·
Registered
377 Posts
ECU is under the passengers feet, pull back the carpet behind the glovebox & remove the bolts holding the plywood in place.
If the new to you Z is a 95 or older, the OBD scanner is useless. BUt you can use the built in diagnostics. I'm not at home so I don't have the link, do search on the forum for ECU diagnostics & you'll be all set.

Lee

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok i found it now where is the the port where i can stick the OBD in for my 96 300zx non turbo? I don't see anything but a root of wires going to the ecu. And now i have a socket nut with a plastic shield blocking access to the wires. Is that where the port is? or some where else in the engine bay? Did i waste my time trying to go to the ECU and it is totally somewhere else??

DenZeL KnighT

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
actually Lee the 96 is the only Z with obdII, the 95's have the same ecu as the previous years, only i believe its 16 bit eprom instead of 8 or something like that. This ECU diagnostic works for the 95's.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would guess the ODB port is in the same place as the Nissan Consult port on previous Z's, under drivers side dash, above the hood release.
That's just a guess.

Lee

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
FYI: 96s are 16 bit OBDII and 95s are 16 bit, but OBDI. (90-94 are 8 bit)

the DDL port is located next to the hood release lever under the driver's side of the dashboard

Post Edited (Jan 12, 1:04pm)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BAM!! FOUND IT!!! thanks guys and found the problem...it was a fluke!! HAHAHA!!! IT said there was something but it wasn't. I kept trying over and over again and then it went away by itself soo i dunno. But thanks guys for the help. Now does anyone know anything about HIDs and are they PLUG and PLAY and will work with my stock USA headlamps without readjusting them? And does anyone have any instructions on how to INSTALL THEM CORRECTLY error free?

Thanks

DenZeL KnighT

·
Registered
673 Posts
post a new thread addressing "sj300zx" he has some HID's for sale.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
If you're talking about the '99 JSpec HID lights, they need to be wired up to be compatible with your car's wiring harness. Concept Z Performance sells them with the wiring already done, so all you have to do is remove the old headlights, bolt in the new ones and plug them in. HERE IS A LINK TO THEM. They're pretty pricey, so I hope you drive a lot at night!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I can't use my STOCK headlamp to stick in HID lights in? Thats just crazy and money wize too!! Anyone else tried to do the stock lamps and sticked in the HID kits in?

DenZeL KnighT

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
once more - start a new thread and in the title put sj hid kits

he sells them to go into the stock housing and they are plug and play

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Hey Denzel, did you get my latest e-mail?

They are plug and play, for the original stock housing. No modification required. It's really just like installing another headlight bulb, there are just two things to plug in. The HID bulb to the ballast, and the stock z connector to the ballast. Then the HID bulb plugs right into your stock housing, since it is a 9006 socket type. Oh, and there's an extra harness in the kit, that is not required to use on our cars.

Here's what is involved:
1. Plug stock z connector into the ballast
2. connect 2 wires coming out of the ballast, to the two coming out of the bulb.
3. Plug the bulb into the headlight housing. You're done!

Here's a crappy MS paint diagram I made, it pretty much covers it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.