ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really getting sick of the seats in my '83 zx. They are starting to get discolored and the backrest on the driver's seat pops backward whenever I put too much pressure on it. It's kinds scary when it happens while I step into the gas. I never liked the looks of the seats on the zx anyway. I was wondering where and if I could find a seat made for the zx that has a higher, one piece back like the 240 seats instead of the separate neck support. Thankz.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
How Much Money You Got, Kid?

The first thing you ought to do is get a free Victoria-British catalog at http://www.victoriabritish.com and check to see if their illustrations of 1970 -1990's Z-car seats might show you something you like better than what you have. Once you fall in love with, say, 240Z seats, you can pick up a set of frames with cushions intact and slap on some new upholstery. That's the cheapest option.

If that doesn't work for you, take the dimensions of your seat, and the frame rails under it to the local junk yard and see what they've got in ready-to bolt-in seats that fit your car. You'll still only have to spend approximately $250 to $550 that way.

Those two efforts having failed, go to http://profusion.com and do separate searches on the keywords "Recaro" and "car seats." Now you may have to start thinking about selling your extra kidney to come up with the loot.

Personally, I haven't had any of the problems you cite in my '82 coupe. I'm 6' 7", my inseam is over 36 inches and my drivers seat is holding up fine after 120K miles. This suggests that what you really might want is some new upholstery, a bit of seat frame modification and reinforcement, or some spacers under the rails to reposition the seat you've got. I'd sure try those methods before I dumped a bunch of cash on new seats. Good luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Where can I get a different seat for my '83

I also intensely dislike the stock seats in my '82. And it's not just because they were worn out. I got a pair of reconditioned ones and they are just as uncomfortable on long trips. There's a Honda CRX in the family and you can go 10 times as long in those well-supported seats.

Apparently from posts I've read here, CRX seats will bolt right into an early Z. But the holy grail appears to be a pair of Recaro seats. Turns out these high-quality aftermarket items (Last time I priced them about 6 years ago they were about $400 per seat) were standard items in Wolfsberg Edition VWs. At a recent half-price sale at a Pick-Your-Part near me, I saw a guy get two of these for $20 apiece.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for any good looking late-model seat. I saw some leather jobs out of a '98 Beemer that I would have killed for. Just make sure you take dimensions of what will fit your car (including bolt hole spacing) with you when you go looking. I can't imagine many seats will bolt directly in to a Z, but I figure anyone who owns one of these great cars is creative enough to make a seat fit, even if it takes a little fabrication work. Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
403 Posts
CRX seats

I put 91 crx seats in my 240 and while they weren't quite bolt in, they didn't require a whole lot of modification to work right. Gonna redo the brackets I made slightly as I think they are just a little too far forward for my liking but then I'm 6'3 if you're shorter it wouldn't be an issue. I have a really simple diagram of what the brackets look like for a 240 if anyone wants it. just email me.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Howzit!
I faced the same dilemma
couple months ago.
Some suggestions I received were seats from
a daytona (leather)
I ended up using seats from an Accura GSR
($200) Dk Grey NICE!
Installation was a bitch as I
had to fabricate rails using stock steel from a HW store. The driver side in my 280 has different dimensions than the passenger, be aware and good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.