ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for my 77 280? i just acquired it. dude went to jail and his brother gave it to me. im so stoked. now you guys are gonna have to put up with my stupid questions for a while. for now, just need a radiator. oh, and its been sitting since 96, what should i do before i try to start it? thanks.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
what?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just talked to Radiator.com...they want 215. for a new life time warranty radiator. Speedy was cheaper but they don't have a life time warranty.g

·
Registered
2 Posts
since the car has been sitting since 96... you should probably change ALL THE FLUIDS (oil & water) and then try it out. If the engine doesn';t want to kick over and you have fuel injection, press the gas peddal about 1/2 way down and try it again (that will override the fuel injection) and it should start right up.

but still before I would try to start it... the batery is probably dead so get a new batery and look the motor over VERY CAREFULLY to make sure it doesn't have too much rust and it looks OK.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
What makes you think you need a new radiator, by the way. Unless it's obviously trashed or leaking (or gone), an old radiator can be rodded out by a local shop for $50 (if you take it out and to them) or so and function like new. Why spend the big bucks if you don't have to?

To start a car that's been sitting almost 10 years — yeah, change all fluids. If it's not run since '96, hate to say it, but this may also include dropping the tank, having it cleaned, and clearing the fuel lines of old varnishy fuel. If you're lucky, you may not have to do this. Then slap the usual tune-up stuff on (plugs, filters, etc.) plug in a new battery and give her a kick. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.