ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '73 Z (L28, '72 SU's) seems to be in need of a tuneup. It's run great for the last year, but increasingly, it runs better with the choke open. Even warmed up, it frequently seems to bog down with the choke closed. It's been 10,000 miles since the valves and points were adjusted at the shop. What are the symptoms of a car that needs valve/points attention? Or is this more likely a carb thing? Thanks for any help!

·
Read Only
3,883 Posts
your points are your biggest problem. i used to have points in my 72. i was changing them out at least every other 2 to 3 months. what i did was go and get a early ZX distributor . its the easiest convert you can do and now you have electronic ignition. well worth the 125 dollars i spent at the auto parts store. you might want to go with that. your hassles will be less in time and you wont have to keep changing out those points. also you wont get the point bounce at the higher rpms either. just a thought

james
pittsburgh pa

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Unless you have money to burn, I'd suggest learning to do those adjustments yourself. The carbs take a little getting used to, but it's not that difficult. Ztherapy's tuneup video covers the carbs and valve adjustments.

I check my valves about twice a year, though once is probably enough. About the same for carbs. The points go out quick, so I'd suggest you check the gap every couple of months and replace it when it starts looking bad. I'm looking at upgrading my ignition because of the hassle with the points.

The points could definitely cause the symptoms you're having, as could the carbs. Out of adjustment valves probably are not to blame, but it's a good idea to check them anyway.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Primer I agree I just installed a '79 ignition and the engine runs much better ,smoother and more power. Bought it at the bone yard the complete ignition nearly new 8mm plugg wires cap and coil , $75. I agree that you must be running lean . If you want og to the surch at the top of the page and type in my name and I have an explnation on SU adjust ing that was passed on to me that makes it easy or you can e-mail me . Good luck, Luggnut73 Portland Ore

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.