ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that when a turbo blows up all the metal parts go into the intake and into the engine and well thats the end of the engine

what really happens when a Turbo Blows up
or is it one of them things that you can see coming

one more thing
Lucky me my car came with a new Turbo how long do they last?

Thanks

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
56 Posts
> I have been told that when a turbo blows up
> all the metal parts go into the intake and
> into the engine and well thats the end of
> the engine

> what really happens when a Turbo Blows up
> or is it one of them things that you can see
> coming

> one more thing
> Lucky me my car came with a new Turbo how
> long do they last?

> Thanks

> Jeff 280ZXT
Hey Jeff,

Turbos seldom blow up. The most common type of failure is siezing due to lack of oil pressure. I'm not familiar with the turbo oiling system on a Zcar, but on most other vehicles (including even the military 2 1/2 ton trucks) the manual instructs the operator to idle vehicle for 2 minutes before shutdown. The reason for this is that little close tolerance impeller inside the turbo is spinning at around 25,000+ rpm if you've been On It. As an example, you've been zipping down the antelope freeway at Warp 9 and suddenly need to dispose of some vitamin P1. You dart into the rest stop and shutdown. That whirling little dervish suddenly has no lubrication due to the fact you have shut down the engine providing the oil pressure. ssiiieeeeze! The reason for idling is to let the impellers spool down to a stop before you shut down the oil supply. Due to close tolerances within this marvelous little device the possibility does exist that the impeller turbine could make contact with the compressor housing causing filings to be generated, or worst case, catastrophic failure of the impeller causing shrapnel to enter your induction system. Not good things. But the onset of turbo failure is generally so gradual you would notice a loss of power over a period of time. Keep in mind that turbo failure is a bad thing for an additional reason. Due to the close tolerances in this wonderful toy, if it is not making horse pressure, it will rob horse pressure because it is a serious restriction to your induction system. For an example on a personal level, imagine you have been running with pure oxygen as an air supply below sea level and suddenly you find yourself at 6,200 feet above sea level trying to breathe through the holes in a button. Sucks! mikey

·
Registered
56 Posts
> Hey Jeff,

> Turbos seldom blow up. The most
> common type of failure is siezing due to
> lack of oil pressure. I'm not familiar with
> the turbo oiling system on a Zcar, but on
> most other vehicles (including even the
> military 2 1/2 ton trucks) the manual
> instructs the operator to idle vehicle for 2
> minutes before shutdown. The reason for this
> is that little close tolerance impeller
> inside the turbo is spinning at around
> 25,000+ rpm if you've been On
> It. As an example, you've been zipping
> down the antelope freeway at Warp 9 and
> suddenly need to dispose of some vitamin P1.
> You dart into the rest stop and shutdown.
> That whirling little dervish suddenly has no
> lubrication due to the fact you have shut
> down the engine providing the oil pressure.
> ssiiieeeeze! The reason for idling is to let
> the impellers spool down to a stop before
> you shut down the oil supply. Due to close
> tolerances within this marvelous little
> device the possibility does exist that the
> impeller turbine could make contact with the
> compressor housing causing
> filings to be generated, or
> worst case, catastrophic failure of the
> impeller causing shrapnel to
> enter your induction system. Not good
> things. But the onset of turbo failure is
> generally so gradual you would notice a loss
> of power over a period of time. Keep in mind
> that turbo failure is a bad thing for an
> additional reason. Due to the close
> tolerances in this wonderful toy, if it is
> not making horse pressure, it will rob horse
> pressure because it is a serious restriction
> to your induction system. For an example on
> a personal level, imagine you have been
> running with pure oxygen as an air supply
> below sea level and suddenly you find
> yourself at 6,200 feet above sea level
> trying to breathe through the holes in a
> button. Sucks! mikey
ps A well cared for turbo (ie reguler oil changes, etc) can last indefinitely.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Not quite

When you let the car run after driving or zipping at warp 9, you are not waiting for the turbo to stop spooling. The turbo stops spooling once you let off the gas. The exhaust spins the turbo and without exhaust, your turbine wheel cannot turn the compressor wheel. The reason for running the car after use is to allow the turbo to cool down. If you have been running hard and the turbo is extremely hot, if you immediately turn it off the oil will cook inside the turbo, gumming it up over time. You should allow a few minutes for your turbo and oil to cool.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Little Turbo info..

Hello,
Let me tell you a little about what else can happen to turbos.I am not sure this is tru on a Z because it is different then aDiesel becaus the compression is lower but here is a litle I know.

While the impeller is turning about 10000 RPM's or what ever the bearings on that shaft are in oil thus the need for an intercoller to cool the oil from the turbo but on the impeller their are heavy duty O-Ring and gaskets that hold the oil in the shaft to cool the bearings and once ina while the Gaskets/O-rings wear out alittle and oil starts seeping into that induction and Not sure on a Z but on abig Truck you start seeing flames out the exhaust from where that oil is burning. And that extra flame from the Oil will tear up your Turbo(on a diesel but not sure about a Z).

And their you have my 2 secs.

Dustin Morris

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Having just replaced my turbo in my 83zxt 5 speed after 56,000 mi, becuase it's bearings had worn out and too much tolerance in the bearings allows too much movement in the impeller shaft, which in turn rubs on the main housing which creates some of the most gawd awful screeching you have ever heard.

The main problem with my 83ZXT turbo is the oil feed line. It has been replaced each time (3 rd turbo, each one gets about 50, 000 mi) but it is so small( about 1/8 inch ID that not much oil gets to it. I 'm sure its engineered properly, but as an engine gets older, mine has 176,000, the oil pressure begins to drop as it idles or gets below 2000 rpm, just due to the fact that alot of the parts are much looser. My ZXT oil feed is attached at the oil sending unit which is probably the end of the line for oil passages, therefore, low oil pressure means low oil movement. Low oil movement measn less oil to the turbo and then go back to step one.

I figure if it ever stps running, I'll re sleeve, ring it it and put new bearings and inserts and go on .

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would suggest getting a turbo timer and an oil pressure gauge. Two rather cheap items compared to overhauling or replacing the turbo(s).

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
THERE ARE MANY SIGNS SHOWN BY A TURBO BEFORE IT WILL BE DONE.ANY SQUELING,IRREGULAR NOISES.IF YOU HAVE A BOOST GUAGE WATCH THE BOOST RESPONSE,HOW FAST IT IS IF IT STARTS TO GET REAL SLOW THERE IS A PROBLEM. TURBOS WILL LAST ANYWHERE FROM 12,000 TO 120,000 MILES. IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR DRIVING STYLE,DO YOU LET THE CAR IDLE FOR 2 MINS. AFTER EVERY DRIVE? ANYTHING ELSE? E-MAIL ME

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car came with 2 Turbos one is new
I was just asking because a friend of mine said they when one goes it shoots parts into the engine right now my car is sitting it won't start but I think its going into the shop soon I have no idea what it is Im getting gas and a blue spark it just won't start the cars not going to be on the rood for another month or two anyways so it does not matter I found that car for $1000 and its in great shape just one day it did not want to start but the day before it had no problem starts with one turnover of the engine

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Have you checked to see if you are getting fuel?
Starting takes 3 things.. Fuel, Air and Spark.. You got Spark, and that can be one of the hardest.. Now check for Fuel and Air (AFM and TBS), after you do that tell us your results we might be able to save you some $$$$

Bean Bandit

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff 280ZXT

I run great one day and then other it would not start

It is getting gas and I checked the 3rd spark plug and it had a blue spark but I don't know about the air could you tell me more about how to check it? could the pcv Valve go over night? if so how do you get to it to change it?

what about the cold start valve? its 20-30 every day now

one more thing some one said that it might be the timing on the 81s something breaks on them and you lose all timing

Jeff 81 280ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: 2nd Turbo (58K so far)

I'm on my second turbo. The first failed at 49K (orig.) almost 3 years ago, I didn't know much about z-cars back then so a buddy of mine assisted in replacing the turbo/gaskets, and the oil feed line (both from Motorsport Auto in Orange, CA). We spent about 9 hours total on the car in about 5 days.

In the weeks/days before my turbo finally died, I was burning lots of oil, I would see smoke coming out my exhaust when I brake my car to a stop, and the turbo whine was just very loud. Finally, you start hearing sounds like marbles spooling around in a coffee can (from the Z-car magaine on Turbo replacement, Summer/Winter '95?). When I took the turbo out the impellors were jagged and worn down (and it spun very loose). The new turbo was very tight and didn't spin as easily.

Since then I've always used Mobil 1 10W30 Synthetic Oil, changed it every 2500 miles for the first 12,000 miles (otherwise you void the Turbo warranty), now around every 3500 miles, and I always let the car idle down anywhere from 1-4 minutes depending on the type of driving I've been doing.
I'm happy to say that the turbo whine is the same as the day the turbo was installed and I started driving it (idle it for 15 minutes after you put a new turbo in).

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
~change oil filters more often also

I forgot to mention, I also try to change the oil filter halfway through the oil change interval. I find that Nissan has very nice quality OEM oil filters compared to Napa or the Fram brands. What I like is the nice rubber seal on the filters. The same goes for their OEM air and fuel filters also. Change the filter by itself and add a quart or so of oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.