ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a restificatoin on a 1978 280z and I'd like input on what wheels will fit this car. I'd like to know what size and brands worked best for you. If you know where I can find them that would help also. Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I'm doing a restificatoin on a 1978 280z and
> I'd like input on what wheels will fit this
> car. I'd like to know what size and brands
> worked best for you. If you know where I can
> find them that would help also. Thanks.

It depends on what look you want, but I think that car looks great with a set of ZX alloys. They bolt right on, are fairly come by,are relatively cheap, and still give it a stock look -- if that's what you are looking for. I have seen several sets for sell on this site (see parts & accessories), but you can probably find some at your local junk yard. You will probably want to strip off the clear coat and polish them up, but I think they look great on that car.

kordon

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dale,
What do you want to end up with and how much money are you willing to spend?
If you want to stick with 14 or 15 and keep the budget down go with the 79-83 ZX mags. They look nice and can be obtained used very reasonably. '84 & up have different offsets and require spacers. Aslo - most of them are five lug which further complicates life.
Tire size options that will fit under your wheel well, be rotatable to all four corners, and not affect your speedometer accuracy much are:
195/70-14 (the OEM tire size), 205/60-15, 205/55-16 or 225/50-16, and 225/40-17. I personnally opted for the 225/50-16's on my '77 280Z using 16x7 Centerline Trident II polished aluminum wheels.
If you are looking at racing the options increase and the flexibility decreases. If you have additional questions - fire awy. I just don't know specifically where you want to go.
Hope this helps,
Phantom

·
Registered
674 Posts
Re: '79 thru '83 alloys

> bolt right on, I'm not sure about '84 and
> above (300's).

Do you know if 280ZX's ever came with OEM steel wheels? I have a 240Z with 280ZX rear discs/ calipers and am looking for a steel wheel that will clear the caliper. What does the 280ZX use for a spare wheel? Is it one of those mini spares? Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

> Do you know if 280ZX's ever came with OEM
> steel wheels? I have a 240Z with 280ZX rear
> discs/ calipers and am looking for a steel
> wheel that will clear the caliper. What does
> the 280ZX use for a spare wheel? Is it one
> of those mini spares? Thanks,

> Paul

No, in the US, ZX's only came with Alloy's, but the spare is a 14x5 steel wheel, although the wheel has two valve stems, at least on the '83's (one is to inflate the tire, one is a pressure relief valve. Anyhow, you could probably use these wheels if you don't mind having two valve stems.

One other thought, you may want to check into 240SX wheels. I know that most of those cars came with steel wheels (I believe 14 inchers). I have no idea what the lug pattern is, etc. but it's a thought.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

> Paul

How did you do the rear caliper conversion I can't find any info on doing this and am very interested. Thanks Sam 75 280z

·
Registered
968 Posts

> No, in the US, ZX's only came with Alloy's,
> but the spare is a 14x5 steel
> wheel, although the wheel has two valve
> stems, at least on the '83's

Steel wheels do exsist on ZX's. My friends 79 280ZX had them. They originally had ugly hubcaps that he still had.

My advise would be to find some 15 inch ZX Turbo wheels. The swastika style turbo wheels are best looking stock wheels in my opinion. I think they were on the 81 Turbos.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

> Paul, the 280zx's did come with 14 steel wheels, and we have them readily available for 15.00 each + freight. Even the 79 280ZXR's that we have had, had steel wheels. We have a set of wheels and hubcaps off of a 79 ZXR right now.
I have 79-81 disk brake conversions on my 240zs
also, and use the 15 82/3 turbo zx wheels. they fit perfect, and say Z in the center cap. Also have 1 set of honeycomb (multi-spoke) 81 280zx turbo 15 rims for 200 + freight. I think we have a couple sets of the 82/3 turbo style in silver, and gold. thanks, joe 1-800-533-5659 m-f 8-5 pst

·
Registered
674 Posts

> How did you do the rear caliper conversion I
> can't find any info on doing this and am
> very interested. Thanks Sam 75 280z

I made my own brackets, but they are also available for purchase from:

Jim Cook Racing (800-527-1440)
Z-Quip (770-253-4356)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status