Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

On my UK model 1976 260Z, I've just tracked down an annoying judder when braking to a worn drivers side front wheel bearing (I believe). Am I right in thinking that short term I can re-torque the bearing to get rid of the slack, or am I playing with fire by doing that?

All help gratefully received!

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi Tony-------------A quick check for faulty wheel bearings may be performed by jacking the front of the car up until the front wheels are off the ground. Place one hand at the top of the tire and one at the bottom and check for any free play. If you detect any slack, the bearing needs tightening or replacement. Then rotate the wheel in both directions and listen for growling, clicking or squeaking noises. This would indicate the bearing is near failure, and needs replacement. Usually, the outer bearing will go first, and is the easiest to replace. You should procure a manual for your car, since it will make this and other maintenance jobs much easier. The torquing specs for the wheel bearings are also in this manual.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

·
Registered
30 Posts
Important. Use the specified torque for the wheelbearing. On the 240 it is approx. 4 kgm.
To much torque cost you a new wheelhub and bearing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.