ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I'm looking at building...Im looking at going with a 1982 turbo motor 40 over,balanced crank, forged pistons, total seal rings, hks head gasket mild port and polish to the head (mostly match for gaskets)some what of a mild cam,550cc injectors,mass air flow sensor/computer out of a 300zxt..turbonetics 60-1 turbo,Zen blowoff, tec wastegate, starion intercooler...Then getting it to the ground throught a 3.7 Lsd rear end....

If you got any suggestions please e-mail me thanks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
I will comment on the order you put them.

'82 turbo engine: just perfect, no hydraulic head
balanced crank: BALANCE EVERYTHING from the crank pulley to the pressure plate assy.
Forged pistons: get JE plan on your compression ratio and consider making them full floating
total seal rings: ?? dunno, some say they are ok some say they are not that good
HKS head gasket: a necesity
port matching: good enough
550cc injectors/mass sensor/300zxt ecu: plan everything ery well and consider ALL the #'s on $$$. Consider Electromotive, DFI, the 300ZX computer alone will NOT controll the injectors, you need to pay JWT around $800 for that
60-1 turbo: nice unit
Zen blowoff: dunno/not familiar
tec wastegate: you meant Turbonetics wastegate? if yes, it is OK, if no, not familiar w that one.
starion intercooler: EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT UNTILL THAT! HOW CAN YOU RELY ON THAT ALMOST CRAP WHILE YOU ARE PUTTING IN AROUND $3K IN THE ENGINE, GET SPEARCO
LSD rear end: perfect, 3.7 great, keep it there or lower
that Z will be a TORQUE machine so you will be able to handle even a lower than 3.545 with ease.

we are talking about 450 hp here
very important!!!
dont forget to used premium bolts/studs for all that I got ARP for mains, head and rods, GET THEM!

ehh I think I got a little carried away
:)

well... that were my $0.02 worth

CarlosZXT

> This is what I'm looking at building...Im
> looking at going with a 1982 turbo motor 40
> over,balanced crank, forged pistons, total
> seal rings, hks head gasket mild port and
> polish to the head (mostly match for
> gaskets)some what of a mild cam,550cc
> injectors,mass air flow sensor/computer out
> of a 300zxt..turbonetics 60-1 turbo,Zen
> blowoff, tec wastegate, starion
> intercooler...Then getting it to the ground
> throught a 3.7 Lsd rear end....

> If you got any suggestions please e-mail me
> thanks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Roger that!

> I will comment on the order you put them.

> '82 turbo engine: just perfect, no hydraulic
> head
> balanced crank: BALANCE EVERYTHING from the
> crank pulley to the pressure plate assy.
> Forged pistons: get JE plan on your
> compression ratio and consider making them
> full floating
> total seal rings: ?? dunno, some say they
> are ok some say they are not that good
> HKS head gasket: a necesity
> port matching: good enough
> 550cc injectors/mass sensor/300zxt ecu: plan
> everything ery well and consider ALL the #'s
> on $$$. Consider Electromotive, DFI, the
> 300ZX computer alone will NOT controll the
> injectors, you need to pay JWT around $800
> for that
> 60-1 turbo: nice unit
> Zen blowoff: dunno/not familiar
> tec wastegate: you meant Turbonetics
> wastegate? if yes, it is OK, if no, not
> familiar w that one.
> starion intercooler: EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT
> UNTILL THAT! HOW CAN YOU RELY ON THAT
> ALMOST CRAP WHILE YOU ARE
> PUTTING IN AROUND $3K IN THE ENGINE, GET
> SPEARCO
> LSD rear end: perfect, 3.7 great, keep it
> there or lower
> that Z will be a TORQUE machine so you will
> be able to handle even a lower than 3.545
> with ease.

> we are talking about 450 hp here
> very important!!!
> dont forget to used premium bolts/studs for
> all that I got ARP for mains, head and rods,
> GET THEM!

> ehh I think I got a little carried away
> :)

> well... that were my $0.02 worth

> CarlosZXT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Re: I Roger that!

The only thing on your setup if this is a street car is the turbo! The 60-1 is pretty big and you will have a pretty big turbo lag. I know of a guy who runs this on his Z, but he has bored and stroked the engine to 3.2L. I think .040 over is something like 2.95L. You might not have too much of a problem, but you should ask around to some Z shops who turbo to see what they think. You will also have to make extensive mods to the exhaust manifold to accept the turbo. Other than that the setup sounds great except for the intercooler. That is kinda like buying a Ferrari and putting in sheepskin seat covers, just doesn't belong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Attn 240z turbo

> The only thing on your setup if this is a
> street car is the turbo! The 60-1 is pretty
> big and you will have a pretty big turbo
> lag. I know of a guy who runs this on his Z,
> but he has bored and stroked the engine to
> 3.2L. I think .040 over is something
> like 2.95L. You might not have too much of a
> problem, but you should ask around to some Z
> shops who turbo to see what they think. You
> will also have to make extensive mods to the
> exhaust manifold to accept the turbo. Other
> than that the setup sounds great except for
> the intercooler. That is kinda like buying a
> Ferrari and putting in sheepskin seat
> covers, just doesn't belong.
Is it possible to get some advice from you by e-mailing you direct....?Got a couple questions about your setup..
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top