ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temp gauge doesn't work. My oil gauge stays low when standing, but when I drive it moves about 3/4 to full. On the fuel gauge, my gas drops down to 3/4 tank when I fill it up. And there's no fuel leaks cuz I had it checked. My battery gauge is a little past the middle and when I rev it moves all the way to full. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
I've been having these same things with my '74.
When I unplugged my thermo sending unit and cleaned the connection and plugged it back in it was fixed. That takes care of one. My oil gauge never goes over half and is always at almost 0 when idling. I was told to get a Nissan oil sending unit. Mat take care of the second one. My fuel gauge never goes over 3/4 either. I'm going to do the first fix(clean the connections). It has seemed that with all the electrical problems that I have encountered with my Z I can clean electrical connections and it usually clears up the problem. Hope this helps. Happy Holidays
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy
> Holidays. Thanks. I'll try it later on this afternoon and let you know what happened
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy
> Holidays. Thanks. I'll try it later on this afternoon and let you know what happened. How about your amp(battery) gauge?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
> I've been having these same things with my
> '74.
> When I unplugged my thermo sending unit and
> cleaned the connection and plugged it back
> in it was fixed. That takes care of one. My
> oil gauge never goes over half and is always
> at almost 0 when idling. I was told to get a
> Nissan oil sending unit. Mat take care of
> the second one. My fuel gauge never goes
> over 3/4 either. I'm going to do the first
> fix(clean the connections). It has seemed
> that with all the electrical problems that I
> have encountered with my Z I can clean
> electrical connections and it usually clears
> up the problem. Hope this helps. Happy
> Holidays
Datsun builds a fine car, but they build lousey
oil pressure sending units.I have had 3 240 z
cars and had to replace sending units on all
of them . A Beck/Arnley one works well and
retails for about 25 bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
. A Beck/Arnley one works well and
> retails for about 25 bucks.
Where can I find this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
My amp guage usually sits at about 14 + or - depending on idle. It seems to have a good alternator. Of course, I'm in the process of installing the stereo also. I'll post what it reads afterwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> My temp gauge doesn't work. My oil gauge
> stays low when standing, but when I drive it
> moves about 3/4 to full. On the fuel gauge,
> my gas drops down to 3/4 tank when I fill it
> up. And there's no fuel leaks cuz I had it
> checked. My battery gauge is a little past
> the middle and when I rev it moves all the
> way to full. Thanks.

My oil pressure runs the same as yours. The amp gauge should stay around zero most of the time. If not get voltage regulator checked. Mine did that and ruined a brand new battery. If it is a voltage gauge it should stay around 14v. My fuel gauge works well till I get around empty then it starts acting up. Of course I've taken the gauge out of the tank and cleaned it up. My low fuel warning light doesn't work. Oh yea my clock has completely quit working.

Sam 75 280z
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Thank goodness for these postings - you may have just alleviated a heart-attack. I just got my 260Z restoration project running under its own steam and after 15mins of fast idling noticed that the oil pressure guage read 0 PSI. I didn't hear any bad noises from the motor and I am sure I would have after a total of 30mins running.

Bought a cheap mech. guage to test it but i'll be damned if I can get the sending unit unscrewed it just won't budge...

> Datsun builds a fine car, but they build
> lousey
> oil pressure sending units.I have had 3 240
> z
> cars and had to replace sending units on all
> of them . A Beck/Arnley one works well and
> retails for about 25 bucks.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top