ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned the contacts on the TPS and thought I had fixed the problem, but this morning on the way to work my idle sticks at 2,500RPM when I come up to a light and before the light turns green the idle drops back down to normal. Does this at every light and is is not affected by speed. I can accelerate even just a little to move up to the car in front of me and the idle will then stay up for 30 seconds or so before dropping back down. Throttle linkage is not sticking.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: What's Up with my Idle?</b>

It's your Boost Controlled Deacceleration Device located on the bottom of your throttle body . It has a plug on the bottom and you insert your flatip screwdriver to adjust .

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't remember, but there might be a vaccum line or possilby an electrical plug going to it as well on a 78, if so, check for a leak or a disconnected wire under the throttle body. I'm 90% sure your idle problems are BCDD related, and can be fixed easy.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clint, I'm not by my car, but I assume you are talking about the round mechanical dudad that slows how quickly the throttle comes off? If its that, I had the same problem a few years ago. I just took it off... Car runs perfectly without it...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All my vaccum lines are new and hooked up. I removed the wire that hooks up to the BCDD and my idle went up immediately. You can hear the air getting sucked in! Where does that wire come from? I know WHY the BCDD works, but am curious as to what makes the electrical circuit work to that wire. I think if I find this out I can fix the problem. Otherwise I will just remove the **** thing or seal it off in some way and see if that makes a difference.

Steve G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.