ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-96-300ZX-TT-TWIN-TURBO-T28-UPGRADE-TURBOS-Z32-630-HP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8026928051QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW>

If those are legit (and I can't see why they wouldn't work) then I may buy those. Any thoughts?

Edit - would it be equal to any other upgrade kit if I also bought Z1's line/gasket kit here? <http://www.z1motorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_6_16&products_id=1469>

Post Edited (Jan 10, 6:00pm)

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, those turbos were brought up in the other post of mine, and I was set on them until I saw these. It appears to be the same deal, machining the stock housings and installing larger internals. I'd just need to pay an extra 160 for the line/gasket kit. So if my assumptions are right, and the turbos are very similar/the same, it comes out to be $1260 vs $1900.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
If you're talking about GT28R's ($1900), the savings would be much more. Only 25% or so of the stock piping can be used with these turbos. It has to be fabricated, along with other mods.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These don't seem to require any modification, I mean they are stock housings, so nothing would have to be altered since only the internals are changed, right? I'm comparing them to Z1's GT525 kit.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
Those housings would need no changes, which is awesome. But since the topic is T28's, I thought I'd share a bit about the GT28R's.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
I don't see the difference between normal rebuilds and these fancy ones. They still use a core from an old turbo, put new housings in it etc., just like a rebuilt one. Given the 12th month warranty [I'd like to know how generous that is] it is a good deal regardless really.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I smell another engine pull if you go with the ebay turbos. For me, I'd try it out, but then again, I don't care if I screw up and have to do it over again. I'd do it for the learning. If you can't afford to screw up, then I'd do it right the 1st time and go with the Z1 turbos. If $1200 is what you want to spend, then go with the stock Z1 rebuilds.

Post Edited (Jan 10, 7:33pm)

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Inefficient lag monsters, the wheel is waay to large for the housing. They were more common several years ago, known then as the Super T-28's. Those that went for them hated them, they were well know for extreme amounts of lag and little peak numbers. Very ineffectient at high boost levels as well which produces a lot of heat which is never a good thing. There's dyno numbers and information on them in a couple of different turbo reviews on tt.net.

The feedback is simply a bases of the sellers promptness and shipping. How many buyers of turbos actually install the turbos prior to leaving feedback on ebay? My guess would be none. Ebay feedback is rarely a good representation of the quality or longevity of the actual product.

Just my $.02
Tim SilverTwin(OH)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ours cost more for a reason

We've had a couple customers that have already made the mistake of buying those. Evidently, they don't get online much.
If you don't want to take our word for it, wait until the first person on this forum buys and installs a set. Then they can share their experiences.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.