ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
$500

Maybe more to someone who wants it, but generally, it's worth what someone will pay for it. I'll pay you $500 for it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The actual "value" of a car like that will depend on several factors.
1) whatever current "Price Guides" indicate
2) the amount of effort you put into "SELLING" it
3) reaching the right buyer at the right time

NADA Lists It As
Low retail $2,775.00 Average retail $4900.00 High Retail $7,525

SELLING the car - Means that you have to put significant effort into it - if you want a reasonable price for it. It means that you have high resolution pictures of all the DETAILS of the car. Any serious buyer will want to see clear pictures of the UNDERCARRIAGE - so get it up on a lift with good lighting.

Also clear pictures of the engine compartment - the one's you show look more like 50K to 70K miles - not 22K. At 22K miles the engine compartment should look almost like new - and everything should be very clean, bright and presentable. Ten "beauty shots" taken from 10 feet away - will not SELL the car. Remove the carpets and show the floorboards.. Take pictures of the underside of the rear deck lid.... DETAILS sell low mileage cars... All painted surfaces under the hood should be clean and shinny, that includes the underside of the hood, the innerfenders and fire wall.

Documentation - take pictures of the service records that document the mileage over time. Show the original window sticker, all original keys, service booklet, owners manual etc. Show the original bill of sale... People that seek exceptionally low mileage cars - want all that stuff with them. Not having all of it will reduce the value of the car by thousands of dollars.

REACHING THE "RIGHT" BUYER - means that you advertise it far and wide. Auto Trader, Local News Paper, Hemmings, and for sure - put it on E-Bay with a reasonable reserve and list your phone number in the description. At 22K miles - I'd put a reserve of at least $10,500.00 on it..

THE RIGHT BUYER - for this car will be someone that has a very high desire for ORIGINAL exceptionally low mileage examples. They are very picky - but they will pay more than reasonable prices for them. The average Z "enthusiast" will not fall into that category - they want drivers and they want them CHEAP. The right buyer will want a 280ZX that they can get in, and drive across or around America without a worry about the car...

If the average buyer paid NADA's Average of $4,900.00 for a 280ZX with 100K+ miles - it would have a worn interior, dull paint with a few door dings and scratches, a sad looking engine compartment and it would need a couple thousand dollars of replacement parts and maintenance. Then it would need about $5K of paint and body work... By the time they have the car looking presentable and running with some reliability - they'll have lot of personal time and work into it - plus another $5K to $7K on top of the purchase price... but the average enthusiast will not have $10K in CASH. The right buyer will.

If it were mine - I wouldn't sell it for less $9,500.00 and I'd be asking more along the lines of $11,500.00 That price tells prospective buyers that the car is SUPER NICE, without pricing it completely out of the range. A growing number are being sold over-seas with todays weak dollar - so I wouldn't rule that out. {just get CASH before you release the car}.

For that matter - if it were mine I wouldn't sell it now - I'd wait another couple years.

Where will anyone find an all but new Sports/GT with the reliability of a 280ZX for less than $9K to $11K?

All the above is based on the car being 100% original - never wrecked, never repainted, etc. etc. and with documented mileage.... Anything short of that will knock it down into the $5K to $6k range.

If you had bought the 280ZX Turbo - you'd have a $20K to $25K car today....

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
tuff call..from 500 bucks to 11.5....= 6k, not bad; as a redundant, NONE of the pictures you posted are up to the task.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
It is a very nice car, but as tony said it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for and on the other side what you are willing to sell it for. You can use NADA as a guide, but even that won't give you the actual price you should sell it for since most of the time NADA is for Dealers and unless you have a dealer license getting a dealer price might not happen.

Best thing to do is list it as for the amount you want with "or best offer". Make sure you do not put "firm" on your price.

As for me I would just keep the car, unless you just don't want it anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I go back and forth on selling. As the original owner for 27 years, it is tough to consider parting with it. However, with it being stored offsite almost year round, I struggle with why am I keeping it. If we had a three car garage, it probably wouldn't be a discussion.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Just get one of those PODS and put it in there.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
I'd keep it also

You won't get a significant amount of cash so what's the point in selling? An extra car or 2 is expected once you're past the paycheck to paycheck stage. License & insure it as an antique since you don't drive it much anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Audio2addict,

You have a very nice car. I have one too and it is not selling. Check mine out http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/8/2077371

I also have mine in Auto Trader. I just get calls from scammers. I am convinced that the first person to actually see it will buy it. I don't believe that anything like this is selling right now. For example, I have been seeing the same Corvettes in the paper for months. Personally, I would hang on to it until the economy recovers (Note my optimism). For the heck of it, I placed mine in the Auto Trader. It cost me around $70. I keep renewing the ad at no cost. I already have it priced less than what it is worth, but still no interest. These are some weird times. So good luck! Again, that's a beautiful car.

Also, Carl B., **** nice response. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

John

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to thank everyone for their insight. With it being December 1st tomorrow and being in Central Illinois, I won't be able to get it out from offsite storage and do everything that needs to be done if I decided to sell.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Chaps, sum sucker saw me coming, I got ganked for 7k, Ha. I was in love with her at 12k, a few months later she was 7k.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
well dont feel bad. ive been watching your 280zxt for some time. i love that car but ive been looking for a dd and i hate to buy yours for that.

as far as the 22k mile car above id say no more then 6k and heres why i wont pay more. for me the turbo is a must if not a turbo its have to be a t-top car. since your car has either i dont see myself buying that car. in light of how clean she is if it was either a t top or a turbo car id be interested as a garage queen. that tobacco metallic color is so nice and not many around in that shape. if i were you id never sell it....thats just my 2 cents here. i would have killed to have had a chance to buy that brand new. if you do try and sell it good luck.

john

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I lost a part of my soul selling my Z32 and it was NOT in the conditions your guys' Zs are in....so imagine the impact of selling your mint Z. If it were me I would hole myself up in a room covered in darkness for days wallowing in regret.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Not driving the car is doing terrible damage to it. Cars must be driven or they deteriorate.

Can you add-on to the garage? Back extension or carport?

Keep that classic for weekends. Register as an antique for cheaper upkeep - insurance, registration and no inspection - check your state laws.

You will regret selling - but if you've had it for 27 years - is there now child or grandchild worthy of an inheritance - a family heirloom.

Naw - you're right - keep it for yourself.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Tobacco metallic, I like the way someone put it, to me was root beer metallic or plum metallic in the beginning, thru the years I leaned toward poo poo metalic..never like it much, anyone willing to show up in my driveway with 3k takes one with front damage, highway worthy all the way to the tires, this "was" pristine, collector ins gave me enough to buy a correct AMG (A M ore G hetto Mercedes) so guess who is sleeping in the garage and who is DD now?

Timing is not wrong, like someone said, to sell a perfect low miles car, may be for you because of weather.,,maybe not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It does have memories. When I graduated from college and for the 1st time could buy something, I yearned for a yellow Z but then realized how much the insurance was going to be and decided against it. Four years later, changed jobs and moved to a smaller community from a metropolitan area and got married and insurance wasn't an issue any longer. I actually bought it knowing I would never buy another stick since my wife to be never wanted to learn how to drive one. She has never sat behind the wheel,

I also remember trying to drive a Z without a full tank of gas in snow and ice. Needless to say that feeling became more in the Central Illinois winters back then and thus the third car low mileage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.