ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a problem with my lights. I have searched the archives but couldn't find anything specific like this.

When you turn the light switch onto the 1st position, the parking lights, tail lights, license plate lights, marker lights and instrument panel light are all on and work OK.

When you turn the switch to the second position, the headlights don't light. But what does is the Main Beam Blue indicator on the dash. Main beams won't work and the Blue Main Beam light indicator on the dash won't go off even if you click the high-low beam leaver in and out.

I am a newbie to 240's so i was hoping for a simple answer like a blown fuse. All the lights were wroking okey yesterday don't know whats happened all of a sudden.

As always I'd be most grateful for any help or suggestions.

Many thanks,

George.

· Registered
932 Posts
nasty little gremlins at work

This is not likely going to be easy. Even without headlights in place the highbeam indicator should turn on and off by actuating the lever switch.

I suppose it's always safest to start with the basics and make sure your fuses aren't at all corroded or otherwise not working properly. You might consider pulling the fuse block and soldering up all of the connections in back just as a precautionary measure. It usually reduces electrical system loads and the heat that comes with big loads.
If that doesn't solve the trouble, check all of the wiring harness connections for corrosion and clean them. You will also want to check the light and high beam switches themselves. It is possible to bend the tabs back that hold the entire HL switch mechanism together and, by flipping the switch contacts around and using steel wool on them to clean off any corrosion, end up with switches that operate like new. Don't lose any of the little tiny springs that reside in the mechanism or you'll be checking out the "Parts and Accessories" for sale page on this site.
Good luck.
Q

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh boy, big deep breath..........

Q,

Thanks alot for the reply.

This is just what I didn't want to hear!

I think I'll take her to an auto electrician after X mas, to determine where exactly the fault is - my electrical knowledge is dire. I did look in my Haynes manual but was no use.

Zeeya

George

· Registered
2,280 Posts
Re: Oh boy, big deep breath..........

I think you should try out Q's answer's first, they are not that difficult, and hey it will only benifit your knowlage base. 240 electrical is a bitch to trouble shoot, but easy to fix.
What can you lose by trying......maybe save yourself some bucks, we can all help you here, and we are all happy to do help.
Good luck

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: Oh boy, big deep breath..........

I think I'd go to a boneyard and get a different Headlight Switch first, and see if that doesn't fix the problem. Some boneyards will even let you return the part if it isn't what you needed.

From what you are saying, it does sound as though you have a short someplace, but since "All the lights were wroking okey yesterday don't know whats happened all of a sudden." I'm betting that it's your switch.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good ideas.....

Thanks guys,

Shaver I think you have given me some renewed hope, Thanks! As you say I'll give it a go and if all goes wrong I'll be here for some step to step help!!

Escanlon, I so do hope its the switch. I'll check that too.. On the first on my list! Only cause it'll be the easiest to look at...

Zeeya.

George

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.