ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats faster a Z31 Turbo or a 280ZX Turbo?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Z31

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Whether one may be all that much faster than the other or whatever is no biggie...even with all it's quirks and pain in the ass to work on, the Z31 has infinitely more potential to be a bad ass mofo than a 280ZX turbo, unless of course you swapped in a 350 or an RB26 or something. The stock Z31 tranny should be able to handle quite a bit more hp than a 280ZX turbos tranny, the Borg Warner in the 280 are crap and will only hold about 300 or so ponies before they start to wear out. The NON TURBO Z31 tranny is good to about 400hp at least...you do the math :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just remember, the Z31 uses 4 different types of transmissions.

A Borg Warner T-5 5 speed FS5R90A, an FS5W71C which is found in N/A cars, an FS5R30A which is the best one because it's the strongest and the 4N71B which is the automatic transmission.

Getting back on topic. The Z31 is the fastests I think.

·
Registered
397 Posts
stock theyre pretty even because of the weight difference having had two of each Iknow. I have an 83 ZXT now thats my daily driver, and a 87 ZXT that sets in the garage. the 87 is much faster but it is not stock. the Z 31 has more potential.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The 280zxt is a really fun car to drive though. I got the chance to drive one and i liked it a lot. I would love to have one coupled with my Z. But like everyone else said... the Z31 is faster. LaterZ.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
i have a 83 zxt and a shiro both with no mods my 83 217k miles and the shiro 40k miles and the 280zxt feels much faster is it just me or does the 280 feel like it has more pull from the boost then the shiro....... anyone ideas or am i just plain ole crazy

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
got an 81t and an 86t and i like the l6 more but thats just me not saying the vg is bad its really nice as well but to me the boost just seems to have more affect on the 81 as zdoctor say although i would probably say z31t>s130t but i would then say z31t<s30withs130t and then i woudl say s30withz31t<s30withs130t as a z31t in an s30 just isnt worth it compared to the s130t in an s30 with all the extra work but if you were to go all out z32ttins30>>>>>>>>anything

Post Edited (Sep 28, 11:31pm)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
a straight 6 is my favorite engine. I would love to have any RB engine in my z, but i don't have the money or time to devote to something like that. the more I think about it, the more i decide i'm going to build a vg33 and put a turbo on it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
A straight six is better balanced. The original 240Z six basic design was stolen from Mercedes. I loved my 240's, but its nearly impossible to find a decently priced one that hasn't been beat to an inch of it's life. So I drive a 300, and I like it too, but for different reasons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.