ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from for my 71 240Z? This 4 speed I got is such a dog! The RPM's get really high just driving around 60! I need a 5 speed bad.

What year tranny should I look for, any ideas where to find one? Any special tricks to install it? I read something in the archives about smashing the clutch stop down with a hammer. Is that all I will need to do?

Post Edited (Oct 10, 8:51pm)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
See I think the T-5 is the WORST 5 speed ever put in a Z. They shift poorly compared to the jap gearboxes and have lots of sycro problems. The jap ones seem to able to handle lots of abuse, I've never seen one "blown up" even when used with turbo engines.

And "smashing the clutch down with a hammer"???

The problem you're going to have is the 4 speed is a wide ration tranny and the 5 speeds aren't as wide so given the rear end gear ratio your car has, you're going to lose some 1st and 2nd gear acceleration. The early 280Z 5 speed gearbox is closer to what you have than the later ZX ones are so would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i would disagree. I have heard a lot of bad things about the T5. I have and reccommend an 81-83 five speed (non borg warner).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a company anywhere that sells the transmission I need? I am not really up to go scouring junkyards. I'd rather have one sent to my front door. :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
I did a 5-spd swap in my 240Z. I did a lot of research and found that the 81-83 280ZX trannies are the best. It is a "true" 5spd.
The early 5-spd's were basically a four speed with an extra overdrive gear.

When doing this swap, I recommend getting the 3.9 differential from the same donor car. Your car will accelerate noticeably quicker too . . . not to mention better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Well you could buy one off ebay have it sent to your local tranny shop
and have them rebuild it, then drive your car down and they will install.

No fuss no muss..................Only Money

All said in done appox 1500.00

Charles

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for the tips! I am determined to do this project! I will try the above links. Hopefully they can send me the rear end also! (Is it possible to change just the chunk in the rear end on these cars?)

Post Edited (Oct 11, 4:33pm)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
A "true 5 speed"??? I'm amazed at some of the misinformation spread around the internet..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.