ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an L28 block #428692. Ive been told it is from a 75. I would like more than one opinion.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Look at the casting #. This is all that's really important. If it is N42, it is earlier than '81. If it is F54, then it is later than'81.

Ian

> I have an L28 block #428692. Ive been told
> it is from a 75. I would like more than one
> opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> opinion.
A N42 head is on it but that is unimportant because I bought the engine being told it was a turbo block. I would like more than one opinion on this as I will pursue legal routes.

·
Registered
529 Posts
As I said before, the casting # is what will tell you. The turbo block is the F54 block. You will find the casting # on the left side of the block near the motor mount boss. It will say either N42 or F54. If it says N42, I think you've been lied to. Good luck!!!!

Ian

> A N42 head is on it but that is unimportant
> because I bought the engine being told it
> was a turbo block. I would like more than
> one opinion on this as I will pursue legal
> routes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
> As I said before, the casting # is what will
> tell you. The turbo block is the F54 block.
> You will find the casting # on the left side
> of the block near the motor mount boss. It
> will say either N42 or F54. If it says N42,
> I think you've been lied to. Good luck!!!!

> Ian

Mark,
It should be noted that some of the turbo blocks did come with an N42 head and the N42 block. Nissan did not send out every turbo with the P-90 heads and the F54 block. And you will find that sometimes there are NA cars that had the F54 block. Nissan was not consistent in this area, and I think just used what was available when the other wasn't.
So it is entirely possible that someone sold you a turbo motor, saying it was a turbo block, not knowing how to tell the difference. For, as the logic goes, if it came from a stock turbo car, it should be the F54 block? Right? Nope, the two turbo engines I was looking at using for my current 3.1, one was as I described above, from a stock 280ZX turbo, and it had the N42 block with an N42 head. and noone had ever changed the parts.
I just thought that should be put out.
-Bob Hanvey

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am not sure about the turbo stuff, about the N42 head and block turbo engine, but I do know that the 82-83 N/A I have seen always have the F54 block and P79 head. So, if you want just the block, look around for the 82-83 N/A also, they may be cheaper just because they are the N/A, different head, etc. I also though do not know what pistons they used for the turbos, but the F54 N/A had flat tops.
Good luck,
Joshua L.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
> opinion.
OK> I bought an engine from a guy that was already built. suppose to be a turbo block with n42 head. The local z guy that will install it for me says the block number comes back as a 75. L28-428692. My car is an 83 and has block number L28-757267. Doesnt T come after L28 if it is a turbo block? The local z guy says it should. Just for info, my block has P54 stamped on it. I have not had the chance yet to check the built engine for that number. Does it make sense that the block numbers go up as the model year gets newer? Please check your cars too make sure. I am going through a lawyer for this so I need to get my stuff straight.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Re:Turbo from 75 no way n/c

> OK> I bought an engine from a guy that
> was already built. suppose to be a turbo
> block with n42 head. The local z guy that
> will install it for me says the block number
> comes back as a 75. L28-428692. My car is an
> 83 and has block number L28-757267. Doesnt T
> come after L28 if it is a turbo block? The
> local z guy says it should. Just for info,
> my block has P54 stamped on it. I have not
> had the chance yet to check the built engine
> for that number. Does it make sense that the
> block numbers go up as the model year gets
> newer? Please check your cars too make sure.
> I am going through a lawyer for this so I
> need to get my stuff straight.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: what year block?

To be honest I've never looked at the code on a turbo block, but I've never read anything to suggest there was a different block for turbos. The F54 is the block used on all ZX's from '81-83.

To make a turbo, Datsun simply substituted dished pistons (for the flattop ones) and added the turbo head.
So if the head has been swapped, reading F54 won't tell you what's really in the block. You will have to shine a penlight into the sparkplug hole to see it has flat pistons or dished ones.

N42 was the block code on the '75-80 L28s with dished pistons, P30 was on 240's.

Bryan
The Datsun Z Garage.
<A HREF=http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/2824>http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/2824</A>

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
> OK> I bought an engine from a guy that
> was already built. suppose to be a turbo
> block with n42 head. The local z guy that
> will install it for me says the block number
> comes back as a 75. L28-428692. My car is an
> 83 and has block number L28-757267. Doesnt T
> come after L28 if it is a turbo block? The
> local z guy says it should. Just for info,
> my block has P54 stamped on it. I have not
> had the chance yet to check the built engine
> for that number. Does it make sense that the
> block numbers go up as the model year gets
> newer? Please check your cars too make sure.
> I am going through a lawyer for this so I
> need to get my stuff straight.
I dont know where I read it but yes turbo blocks are different. has something to do with webbing in the block to make it stronger than non-turbo. The other response said no turbo in 75. I know that. This engine was put together supposedly using a turbo block. I bought it under that as well as other terms. Some are false. Most are true. this engine also was not put together with a turbo. Just using a 'turbo' block.

·
Registered
361 Posts
> I dont know where I read it but yes turbo
> blocks are different. has something to do
> with webbing in the block to
> make it stronger than non-turbo.

As Bryan Little just posted, you will find the F54 block on both turbo and non-turbo engines. As you are correctly stating, the F54 block had some extra reinforcing inbetween the cylinders, in the water jackets that gave the block a little more strength. That is the only real difference bettween the F54 and N42 blocks,(some of the oiling holes may have changed, but it still works with older heads).

>The other
> response said no turbo in 75. I know that.
> This engine was put together supposedly
> using a turbo block. I bought it under that
> as well as other terms. Some are false. Most
> are true. this engine also was not put
> together with a turbo. Just using a 'turbo'
> block.

Again, back to my post up above, not all turbo motors came with the F54 block. Nissan still had N42 blocks hanging around when they started with the F54, so you will see them intermixed. But for the most part, the 81-83 blocks will be a F54, or commonly refered to as the turbo block. But the response that said a 75 block could never have been a turbo is correct, 81 was the first year that Nissan produced the turbo. So I would imagine it is possible to have an 80 block on a turbo, but not a 75 - the first year of the 2.8.
-Bob Hanvey

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
> As Bryan Little just posted, you will find
> the F54 block on both turbo and non-turbo
> engines. As you are correctly stating, the
> F54 block had some extra reinforcing
> inbetween the cylinders, in the water
> jackets that gave the block a little more
> strength. That is the only real difference
> bettween the F54 and N42 blocks,(some of the
> oiling holes may have changed, but it still
> works with older heads).

> Again, back to my post up above, not all
> turbo motors came with the F54 block. Nissan
> still had N42 blocks hanging around when
> they started with the F54, so you will see
> them intermixed. But for the most part, the
> 81-83 blocks will be a F54, or commonly
> refered to as the turbo block.
> But the response that said a 75 block could
> never have been a turbo is correct, 81 was
> the first year that Nissan produced the
> turbo. So I would imagine it is possible to
> have an 80 block on a turbo, but not a 75 -
> the first year of the 2.8.
> -Bob Hanvey
I will try to check the casting # today to see if it is F54. The guy I bought this engine from had a 75Z. He built it with flat top pistons, 10:1 comp., NISMO comp bearings, bolts, Blue Dot oil pump, total seal rings N42 head with competition porting and intake matched, Arizona Zcar SS valves,480 lift 272 dur cam. Says it was dynoed at 242hp at wheels, and had about 1000 miles on it. I supposedly got a Nissan competition gearbox with it. According to NISMO, the only way to tell a comp gearbox from stock is to open drain plug and look for steel syncros. This one has brass. NOT competition. I was suppose to get a turbo throttle body, Didnt happen. Intake was suppose to be honed for a larger throttle body. Cant see that it has been. Now after being told first that this block may not have been a turbo, and finding out all the rest of this, I have to question the validity of it being a turbo block. but like I said I will check for the F54 casting #. Thanks for your input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.