ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tag says my Z was manufactured in September of 1977. According to my Victoria Brittish catalog Z.33 the 1977 models were produced between 8/76 and 7/77. That would make my Z a 1978. Right? If so than why does my car have a OEM mounted external Voltage regulator when V.B. shows an internal voltage regulator for 1978?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds perfectly logical but car manufacturers go by model years. Different model year, different architecture. Almost all parts are interchangeable for the 77 and 78 280Z. Few parts are not. For whatever reason the Z Gods are making it difficult for me to get the correct parts for my car.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I posted this to another post regarding what year vin#:

Copy and Paste:

In the for what it's worth department:

My VIN # is HLS3043247. The car was manufactured 9/71. By title it is a 1971, however, by parts is where it gets interesting.

Since I don't have access to Nissan's logs, I'm taking this information from Victoria British's chassis number identification. They list that serial number 046000 should have been the last number produced in 8/71 in order to qualify being a 1971, and that production for the 72s started in 9/71. Right there I have a discrepancy between what's on the car and what is published.

Checking Z-Home (www.zhome.com), shows that my VIN# was in effect produced during the time period on my car. They list VIN# 51583 as the LAST car reported so far as being a 1971, and the earliest 1972 as 48863. Obviously there is some overlap, and this is partly due to the various dealers that sold the Z accross the USA. Sometimes they would license as a 72 to take advantage of higher posted MSRP, or taxes etc.

The key thing behind this rambling, is to check with various sources as to what YEAR your car is. In my case, many parts are indeed 1971, but I do have bunches of others that match 1972. The basic message to all is to check your # against PRODUCTION logs and don't just subscribe to the thought that TITLE year equals year of car. This is especially true if going for a top notch restoration or concours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.