ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in purchasing a Z my friend has a 78' 280 with an automatic that is pretty fast for an old automatic, so I figured a nice manual would kick ass... anyhow I am wonderring What year 280z is the: Fastest? Most economical? has all wheel disc? doesn't have that ugly 2+2 hump?

One of the reasons I like my friends 78' so much is because it is one of the best looking z years besides the breandnew 300zs but I can't afford more then 10k ??????

Can somone help me out?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think your best bet would be a 280ZX Turbo Automatic. These were made from '81 to '83. They have all wheel disk brakes, do low 15's in the quarter, and look good (IMO). As far as economy, none of the Z's are that great. I had an '82 280ZX Turbo 5-Speed that got 29mpg on the highway, but that is the best I've ever seen. If you do consider a 280ZX Turbo, be aware that stock, the autos were quicker than the 5-speed because of reduced turbo lag during shifting. There are things you can do to the manual to quicken it up. A compressor bypass valve helps a lot. Also, these were the top of the line Nissans at the time. You will automatically get power windows, locks, a/c, t-tops, 15 wheels, and a lovely female voice that lets you know when a door is open or when your lights are on. I think this would be a good choice.

If you don't like the ZX's styling, then I would recomend a 240Z. These are the quickest of the Z models and they are now exempt from smogging (Ca.). They also have more performance potential because of their lighter weight (about 2355lbs). Good luck on your new Z venture!!!

Ian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.