ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I had my z at my mechanics. my car is runing a little rich. . . he thinks it might be the Afm . I believe the one that is on there is new he said there isnt to good of a way to test it but thinks its the reason some black smoke comes out . . I duno I think it is just the cold start until it kicks off. . . what do you guys think ? I just replaced the thermostat. cause it was sticking . . . I duno !!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi datsuntzxt----------------Your car, being a turbo, doesn't have a cold start valve. The principal causes of rich running with a turbo car seem to be the head temperature sensor and/or the O2 sensor. Anyway, it's good to check these first. The AFM might be faulty, but if it still has the factory silicon (gray color) seal, it's unlikely. I'd recommend that you get a manual, preferably a factory service manual, for this car. The ECCS system is very difficult to test without one, and it will make things much easier for you.

Roadman

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I second the factory service manual idea... I would also look for another mechanic! What a goober, "There's really no good way to test the AFM" BS!
Hand Cletus the factory service manual and have him look at the engine fuel section... there are the tests for the afm, and all the EFI sensors.
Like roadman said, look at the cylinder head temp sensor, check all the wiring, make sure it is clean.
Oh, and get that FSM. Depending on what year your car is www.ideal-z.com may have yours. Another place is SCHIFF MANUALS 1-888-789-6882. They have reprints of the FSM's for $69.95.
The FSM is worth its weight in gold and a **** a lot more usefull than your 3 thumbed mechanic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.