1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will it take to make an L28 with 240hp at the rear wheels using
-----------
-L28 Block
-n42 head
-SU's
----------

Mind you this would need to be as low budget at possible.
Also please be detailed in your response...
I am planning to pump up project 240z on zdriver.com using feedback from everyones post.

Kyle
http://zdriver.com/project240z

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Re: What will it take to make an L28 with 240hp at

Sorry, I can't answer your question directly.

240 at the wheels would be about 290 or so at the crank right? I think it would be tough from what I've heard. My mechanic built a 240Z racecar. Engine was an L28, bored to 2.9L, full port and polish, TEC II, 6 throttle bodies, light flywheel, 13.7:1 compression, race fuel and god knows what else. This car made 320 at the crank. This is a mods car and is very successful I hear. So, I guess running 12:1 (and this is a total guess) or so should with a similar setup might be close to your goal?????? I think this is a $12 000 engine.

A guy in my Z club had 265 hp crank from an n/a L28, not sure what he did though. I know it was expensive.

Anyway, I think we are all anxious to hear your dyno results!

Sorry I could not be of any help

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Dyno.....

Nevermind, I found the dyno results on your website.

It looks like you picked up about 30 horsepower by going with SU's and an exhaust system. That's pretty respectable. And the torque curve is beautiful.

I suppose to start getting more, you would want to raise compression ratio, port/polish, cam, electric fan, stronger ignition, flywheel, maybe put your tripples back on....nothing new to you I'm sure.

help me out here guys.........

·
Registered
238 Posts
power

hey kyle
you can do it with a triple carb set-up...it might be hard for the su's to generate enough power or air to hit 240 at wheels...you can try hooking up 2'' Jag Su's and a built ass motor...i got mine up to 200hp at the wheels with my dual su setup but i ran an e31 head instead. ive seen a few mags from japan with a triple 50mm mikuni set up get 325hp. they did a 3.1 stroker kit to achieve the power. if i can find my jap mag, ill scan pics, the ad is in all japanese maybe you or your wife can translate,,,it might have specs on what they did to the car. maybe a 44mikuni setup can do the 240hp at wheels for yah...just my thoughts...email me later..see yah

mike

·
Registered
345 Posts

Hi Kyle
If you are looking for 240 RWHP, i think the best way is to contact Rebello Racing,they have listed stroker engine with 275HP.I e-mailed them few months back,they answered that this engine could be run on pump gas,no high CR,they also mention that with tripple webers they can get 305HP.I don't know if these are numbers at flywheel or at the wheels though.This conversion is not cheap, i think you will be looking for 5000Gs,maybe more.You will have to polished/ported head, performance cam,big bore SUs,ets.The chepest way probably would be either turbo or V8 or NOS.
About L series,maybe you should ask Norm,he build his engine recently,maybe he dynoed his car and know exactly how much he is getting.He posted here that his L24 with N42 was about 200HP.
Hope this helps,
David

·
Registered
75 Posts

rebello has a 3.1 engine package with bored su carbs that goes over 200 at the wheels and makes good midrange torque for street use.you can get peak hp on a dyno but engine will be down on midrange torque.i prefer boost.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts

Here are a few more ideas to ponder. Eliminate all your drive belts by running an electric puller fan and by installing a direct drive electric water pump. Reverse the flow on your coolant so the air-cooled water from the radiator travels through your cylinder head first where most of the moving parts and heat are anyway. An added bonus of doing this is, you can eliminate the crank pulleys and thus drop some rotating wieght and increase HP. Another idea is to run a water injection system like the "injectronic" outfit as seen at.....(http://www.racetep.com/wik.html). Water injection and reversing the coolant flow would allow you to run more spark advance without the fear of detonation and would increase power and efficiency to boot.GOOD LUCK and keep us posted

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
I'm with Mattz: You Won't!

Take a look at some of my e-mails to Yuichi, and some of the posts on our Land Speed Z running at ElMirage and Bonneville.
We have similar specs to what Mattz280 posted:
14:1 compression. L28 bored .040, headers, Slover's Porting Head, Heavy Cam, forged pistons, tilton flywheel (triple disc), TEC II EFI with total control over fuel and spark we came up ultimately with 256HP to the rear wheels at 8250RPM which was almost 40 more HP than the Weber 45 DCOE's produced at that point.
The Webers peaked around 7500, and were good for the first record, but that size carb just won't flow enough for operation above 8000 rpms.
SU's will make decent power up to 6500, even 7000, but after that, there's just not enough cross-sectional area for enough air to pump through the engine. Take a look at manifold vacuum on your engine at WOT around 7000 rpm, and you will see what I'm talking about.
Sorry, Dual SU's ain't gonna give you that much, laws of physics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.