Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya all,

I remeber someone told me they used a certain number for the sandpaper, and I also need a drill and a adapter for it, do any of you have any idea of what I should use?

Also under the old paint there is rust all over the surface of the car should i just sand it then primer it or should i put some kind of chemical all over the car?
thanks
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Bead Blast It, Man!

Sanding is great for finishing surfaces, but if you want to strip them, use a bead blaster. The best method, and probably the cheapest, is to go to a pro, but if you're determined to do the work yourself, read a book on painting and metal preparation, and rent or borrow the compressor and gear. I used to sand the paint off cars when I was a kid, it's needlessly backbreaking work that took days to do by my lonesome. I still get mad at myself thinking about all the time and sweat I wasted.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Bead Blast It, Man!

An inexpensive Bead Blasting solution can be purchased from Grizzly Imports for $119 (www.grizzlyimports.com). It's a decent Bead Blasting Cabinet that's complete except for the 5HP air compressor you'll need to run it. I recommend using the 2-stage cast iron compressors because they last longer and are more quiet. Use play sand or buy the glass beads locally ... it's heavy and expensive to ship. Once you've blasted the components, you can cadmium plate them using something like the Caswell system (www.caswellplating.com). I'm re-doing my Z and treating EVERY nut, bold, washer, and rusty part in this fashion. It's an overkill, but the results are incredible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.