ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me, I am woman about to buy a 1990 300z automatic for $6999 with 137,000 miles on it from a used car dealership, I test drove it on Sunday, run's good (IMO) The interior is mint and the outside has a decent new sylver paintjob. Now what do I have to look for before I sing onthe doted line. What are sing's that there might be something wrong with it now or in the near future? All you guys help I apreciated

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Well as long as you make sure that it has been well maintained ( Timing Belt replaced at 60K miles, make sure all hoses and seals are good. Or atleast the ones that you can obviously check.....) I don't even own a Z32, but I have a good friend who does. Ya might wanna see if you can check on the previous owners and see if a kid owned it or not. If so that auto tranny might not be good for much longer. They almost always show signs of wear and tear on them though.
GOOD LUCK!
LaterZ

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I think that price is a bit high for that car, from a dealership they will want to charge tax and tags. make them an "out the door" price. I'd try somewhere between $6100 and $6300 total. Be prepared to walk out the door and head for home. Even let them think about it for awhile. My bet is that they will call you back.

·
Registered
388 Posts
1990's N/A have a factory defect problem w/ the valves. You can hear the valves clicking or knocking when the car is idling. Very expensive to fix.

·
Registered
133 Posts
OK!

First the price is a little to high. Between 6100 and 6300 but no more.
Good advice: see if you can get service records on the car.
If no records, have the car checked out by a Z mechanic BEFORE YOU BUY!
At 137k the car should have had two timing belt and water pump services done.
If the second, at approximately 120k, has not been done then tell the salesman the price just dropped 2k.
An independant Z car mechanic is the best way to go.
Where are you located?
Once this site knows that then someone local to you can recommed a mechanic for you.

These are beautiful cars and the looks can over power good sense.
Be careful and make sure your getting something thats not going to cost you an additional 3-4k in work after the fact.

Ted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the great advise guy's Im just glad I didnt have the money inhand when I saw it. Waiting for Loan aproval today, then i also found several other options now then I am Jonesing for one.

Location is Northern Orange County In Southern California, so any reputable Mechanic referal would be apreciated. Same go's for Northern california ware I saw another Z that I am interested in

Thank's again guy's

·
Registered
920 Posts
also the auto tranny's especially were crap in the 90-91 Z32's. the reverse quit working in my 91 auto at about 155k.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, if you fell in love with a 90 N/A. I have one for sale for $6500 and you don't have to pay the dealership tax, tag, title. It's had a tranny rebuild, recenty had timing and drive belts changed, water pump, thermostat, battery, tires, motor mounts, driveshaft, new front brakes and caliphers, new power steering pump and rack and pinion steering, among a few other things. Only problem the car is in FL. Seriously though, check what everyone else has suggested and it might be a good idea to get an extended warranty that covers drivetrain if the dealership will offer it. Like someone else said the transmission on ours went when it wouldn't go in reverse anymore. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.