ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here are the vintage 70s turbine mags on my Z. I've tried lots of products and methods to get the baked-on grime off, but nothing has worked so far. It's almost like the film of dirt on the areas between the spokes is etched into the metal, stained or bonded after nearly 40 years. Anything you might recommend? I've used a buffing wheel with metal polish, a couple wheel cleaners even brake cleaner, and.....no improvement. I'd love to brighten them up. Bead-blasting with a restoration shop the only alternative?

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I thought the toilet cleaner was a funny comment but....you weren't kidding! And the sanding (which I'll use ultra fine grit for) could only further the improvement, and probably act like polish. This is a pic of where I tested the toilet bowl cleaner on one segment at the bottom of the wheel. See any difference? wow. Nothing else had even made the slightest improvement before. Here's to the wisdom of the forum. These wheels are going to absolutely pop when I'm done. Plus, I can always use the leftover portion....on my toilet. lol Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I used Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner, which has about 9% hydrochloric acid. There are other bowl cleaners with as much as 23% acid, but I thought I'd start low. I let it sit on the metal a good 15 minutes then rinsed off.
Good move. You don't want the action too aggressive. 37% is the max strength available in HCl, so 23% would be strong.
And the fumes would be irritating.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good move. You don't want the action too aggressive. 37% is the max strength available in HCl, so 23% would be strong.
And the fumes would be irritating.
Yes, I was kind of thinking that, and it was only by luck I noticed that the Lysol had a lower acid content. I would have been afraid to accidentally splash some of that other 23% stuff on a tire, only to return later and see the wheel......and only the wheel, lol

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wow, I learned something today! Toilet bowl cleaner - who wouda thunk? FWIW, I have a friend who went the media blasting route - I think they used walnut shells, which is the 'least rude' abrasive. Anyway, the wheels turned out very clean with hardly any 'tooth' from the blasting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts