ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok to make a long story short I am having some weird voltage problems on my 83zxt. There was a buzzing sound comming from under the hood. After investigating I found that noise to be a relay. I know relays are not supposed to sound this way, the coil is probably bad inside the relay.

This relay is one of five (three in the top row two in the bottom row) it is the middle one in the top row. These relays are between the pasanger side wheel well and the vacuum canister.

Usually the case that is around the relays states their purpose, but not on this one.

Please help, I apreciate everything

Josh 83zxt

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok well I changed the relay. still not sure what it does but it did not fix my problem.
Here's what's happenin. At idle with no loads I have no problems but the minute I turn on the headlights, or parking lights plus blinkers, or parking lights plus apply brakes, or take the car above 4K rpms every stupid light in the dash lights up. Even when I turn on the radio (this is with no other loads) and the antenna goes up the battery light flickers while the atenna is going up or down. I put my trusty meter on the battery to check voltage and everything seems normal. The voltage never drops below 14 and never gets much higher than 16 (15.6 was the high I believe), this is through out the rpm range

Now the alternator is brand new, I installed it and went for a drive, everything was fine untill I jumped on the throttle (gotta love the speed). At that moment all lights in the dash went on. The battery is also brand new, bought her about a week ago. and is the biggest I could find.

I should probably mention that I do have a crappy aftermarket cd player but did not have it powered on when these problems first started. So I know thats not my problem.

Thanks,
Josh 83zxt

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
your problem sounds a lot like the one i had a week ago. my voltmeter
was jumping around and the lights were flickering. when i came to a stop
ide hear a relay click under the dash and the brake warning light would come on
although mine is a 78 it may be a similar problem with your fusible links being corroded or your battery cables are loose or corroded

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.