ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking to redo my suspension this month and was looking at getting some new rims at the same time. Im going with a tokico/eibach setup with urethane bushings. I have the stock rims on now and wanted to get some of the panasport rims for it. I like big wide tires and was wondering what size is the max i should get without anymodification. I was thinking of a 16" rim but if i go any bigger will i run into speedometer problems and stuff like that? Anyone know whats the max without changing anything and what size tire to keep the speedo accurate?
thanks,
suntadz

· Registered
600 Posts
If you keep the O.D. (outside diameter) of the tire the same, the speedo will be O.K. You can go with a larger wheel and a lower profile tire and keep the O.D. the same. This will reduce sidewall flex and will create a crisper feel to the handling. The main limitation you will run into is that there are few if any wheels larger than 16" with a four lug bolt pattern. If you want to go larger, you need to convert to 5 lug 300ZXturbo hubs. Then your choices are much broader, maybe even 18" rims. Of course these would wind up looking like rubberbands around thread spools and risk bending every time you pulled into a driveway.

· Registered
153 Posts
I am running 17x7 Tenzo-R AV-7 rims with 215/45/17 Toto tires. There is absolutely NO problem with this setup - if anything the steering is more positive. The OD is within .2 inches of the stock size - so no speedo issues. To be sure I chcked it with a GPS system - spot on.

· Registered
14 Posts
Re: What size wheels.?!(RetrofitZ)

In reference to your comment about the availabilty of 16"rims actually there is a multitude of 16,17,&18" rims in the Z 4x4.5" lug pattern.Enkei,ADR,MOMO,etc.,etc.The only problem is the offset isn't right for the Z's which is zero:Not a problem because custom billet spacers can be obtained from any decent import-speedshop albeit expensive,the ones I ordered out of Miami cost $300 but I stole my MOMO's from someone who had no idea what they were worth for $250,anyway I hope this helps a little!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.